Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TCW

Think I Got Gluten?

Hello,

I went out to breakfast this morning, and ate a veggie/cheese omelet, which I watched them make, and some "country potatoes". I asked about the potatoes, and they said the ingredients were potatoes, onions, oil, peppers and seasoning salt.

In the middle of breakfast, I needed to use the restroom urgently, but felt okay. Now, four or five hours later, I'm getting really painful stomach cramping, mid-section, like inflammation, and feel really queasy. The only thing I ate in between was some gluten-free (Brown Cow) yogurt.

I'm assuming the cheese and veggies were fine. I'm just wondering if there could have been something in the seasoning salt?

Does this sound like a gluten reaction? Would the seasoning salt have possibly done it?

I've been gluten-free for about 9 weeks now and have had one other (worse) episode like this that I couldn't quite figure out, but also happened after I ate out.

Thanks! TCW

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

COuld be a couple of things that caused it. Early on I learned to see if they were using real eggs, that is to say whole eggs and not some egg mixture put together by the cook for omelets and scrambled eggs. Some places do put flour in eggs or other questionable thickeners. I only order fried eggs now.

It could also be CC from frying pans or grills or they simply dropped some bread crumbs on your plate when carrying the order to your table.

It does make it a pain to eat out but they are all thinsg you need to watch out for.

Good luck

Ken

Hello,

I went out to breakfast this morning, and ate a veggie/cheese omelet, which I watched them make, and some "country potatoes". I asked about the potatoes, and they said the ingredients were potatoes, onions, oil, peppers and seasoning salt.

In the middle of breakfast, I needed to use the restroom urgently, but felt okay. Now, four or five hours later, I'm getting really painful stomach cramping, mid-section, like inflammation, and feel really queasy. The only thing I ate in between was some gluten-free (Brown Cow) yogurt.

I'm assuming the cheese and veggies were fine. I'm just wondering if there could have been something in the seasoning salt?

Does this sound like a gluten reaction? Would the seasoning salt have possibly done it?

I've been gluten-free for about 9 weeks now and have had one other (worse) episode like this that I couldn't quite figure out, but also happened after I ate out.

Thanks! TCW

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

The ingredients themselves all may have been fine, but cross-contamination when you eat out is, unfortunately, a risk. Some places are better than others, and some Celiacs are more sensitive than others.

If the dishes weren't clean, if the utensils had been dipped somewhere else, etc.. They probably don't keep uncontaminated butters, etc.

Best of luck, and hope that you feel better soon.