Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bella6

Enterolab - Can Someone Tell Me What These Results Mean?

Here is what I just received from Enterolab:

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0602

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0402

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,4 (Subtype 6,4)

Interpretation Of HLA-DQ Testing: Although you do not possess one of the main HLA-DQB1 genes predisposing to celiac sprue (HLA-DQB1*0201 or HLA-DQB1*0302), HLA gene analysis reveals that you have one copy of a gene that predisposes to gluten sensitivity (any DQ1, DQ2 not by HLA-DQB1*0201, or DQ3 not by HLA-DQB1*0302). Having one of these genes means that each of your offspring has a 50% chance of receiving this gene from you, and at least one of your parents passed it to you.

What does this mean exactly? Am I gluten intolerant or does this mean I have a chance of being so??? This confuses me.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

It means you have the gene for gluten sensitivity. If you are symptomatic in any way then a gluten free diet will help you. Just having the gene doesn't confirm you are currently gluten sensitive - but because it is there, you are prone to developing it. It will be your symptoms and response to gluten free diet that would confirm you have it right now.

Hope this helps

Sandy

Sandy

Type 1 diabetes - 1986

hypothyroid -1993

pernicious anemia

premature atrial beats

neuropathy

retinopathy

daughter is: age 15

central hypotonia and developmental delay

balance issues (rides an adult 3 wheel bike)

hypothyroid 1996

dermatographia - a form of angioedema 2002

celiac 2004 - by endoscopy

diagnosed Aspergers at age 7 - responded very well (HUGE difference) to gluten-free diet

recovered from Kawasaki (2003)

lactose intolerant - figured out in Oct/06

Gilberts syndrome (April/07)

allergy to stinging insects

scoliosis Jan 2008

nightshade intolerance - figured out April 2008

allergy to Sulfa antibiotics

son is 13

type 1 diabetic - 2003 diagnosed on his 9th birthday

celiac - 2004 by endoscopy

lactose intolerant - figured out Nov/06

This means you do not have the 2 recognized celiac disease genes. You have one gluten sensitivity gene. Gluten intolerance can be very awful too. Did you get any of the other tests or just the gene test. Just because you could develop an intolerance does not mean you have. Do you have symptoms? Are you gluten free or not?

gluten . . . Kiss my grits!

pork and beef free- 1994

wheat free or wheat light- 2003

gluten free- January 2008

I did have many symptoms - headaches, stomach pain, fatigue, irritability. I've been gluten free for several weeks and I think I am feeling better. Should I have my kids tested? I worry about them being gluten intolerant too.

Did you get the antibody test done too? Do your kids have symptoms? I have 3 kids. One shows no symptoms, one has one, maybe two symptoms, and one has several. I am testing the one with several. I don't want her to develop the problems I did.

gluten . . . Kiss my grits!

pork and beef free- 1994

wheat free or wheat light- 2003

gluten free- January 2008