Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sharps45

Cold Kitchen And Bread Won't Rise

What am I doing wrong with my bread? No matter the recipe, I can't get it to rise. My regular bread is 3 inches thick, and french bread looks like thick pancakes. My kitchen is always cool, but I've tried putting the pans between stove burners, into the oven on warm, and nothing seems to help. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, I'm at 6000 ft elevation, if that has any bearing on the issue. thanks to all

diagnosed 9-07, symptoms for many years

really only get sick from oats and white bread

hard to say goodbye to Olive Garden!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Maybe your yeast is not good....Every once in a while I proof my yeast to check it out....I put 1 tsp dry yeast in a glass of warm water with a little sugar and let it set a while, like maybe 10 min...if it gets foamy on top the yeast is good...if it doesn't you need new yeast....I don't know anything about the elevation issue...

a few things - are you using gluten-free recipes, or just substituting gluten-free flours in your old recipes? Have you tried a different package of yeast? Finally, you can try turning your oven on for 1 or 2 minutes and turning it off again, and then putting your bread in there to rise.

Cara - 42, mom to dd 15, ds 12, ds 4

Off gluten and dairy (and tapioca ;-( ) since 11/07

A.L.C.A.T. test showed over 50 sensitive foods

Celiac panel came back negative.

Regular allergy testing reacted to every inhalant and all but 6 foods.

Slowly adding in foods, started w 19 and now have 25

You might be able to put your bread pan on a heating pad set to low, or put the pan over a bowl of hot water. Try setting it on top of the dryer while you run it. And definitely check your yeast - if it's too old or dead it just won't grow.

Lee

I never liked bread anyway.....

I've used two different yeasts, both supposedly new, but I'll check them. Always gluten-free recipes

diagnosed 9-07, symptoms for many years

really only get sick from oats and white bread

hard to say goodbye to Olive Garden!