This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Got My Diagnosis, Eating Gluten Free For A Week And Feeling About The Same....

Dolcenotte

Dolcenotte Contributor

Ok so my blood tests were positive, my endoscopy was postiive, and just from looking during the endo the doctor told me that stomach was all inflamed inside, my villi are gone, and I have ulcerations all over my intestines. He said I'm more of a severe case. he put me on Prilosec to help them heal. I've been on the diet since last Tuesday and I dont think I've contaminated myself. I bought all gluten free foods, checked all my makeup/skincare companies, medications, etc. I'm still very bloated and having the usual potty problems. Alot of people told me that i will feel such a difference within days of starting the diet, but I'm not. I'm so worried I'm going to have to cut dairy out, i really feel like i will be left with nothing to eat. Also, I was thinking it might just be the Prilosec making me feel crappy, or just that it will take a longer time for me to notice the difference of being gluten free. I havent been eating only plain meat and vegetables, maybe seasoning/spices and too much flavor is aggravating my stomach because its in such bad shape? I dont know what to think. I'm so glad I have an appt. with the Celiac Disease center in Manhattan next month! I need all the help I can get! I'm meeting with the doctor and the nutritionist there . Any thoughts/advice in the meantime?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

happygirl Collaborator

Some people feel better shortly after they start the diet. However, many do not. Especially if you have a severe case, it can take many months to fully heal. Not meant to be discouraging, but hopefully the information will help you understand why your symptoms don't disappear overnight. Hang in there!!!

Open Original Shared Link

"Q: I've just been diagnosed with celiac disease. How soon will I feel better?

Most patients respond rapidly to a gluten-free diet and will often report an increased feeling of well-being. How well they feel, and how quickly, may vary depending on the nature, severity and duration of symptoms prior to diagnosis. There may also be some "ups and downs" as they work toward the goal of eliminating all gluten from their diet. There is usually a learning curve to finding what food, drink and drug products are safe and which contain gluten."

Open Original Shared Link

"Once an individual has been confirmed, through a biopsy, to have celiac disease they are instructed to begin following the gluten-free diet. This can often be difficult, at first, because so many foods contain gluten in them. However, through support and guidance from experienced celiacs and a skilled dietitian, many newly diagnosed patients learn that the gluten-free diet requires some creativity and planning, but that great tasting food isn

flourgirl Apprentice

Hi! Sounds like you have plenty of damage to overcome! I did too. While inflamed, your body has had a hard time absorbing much of what it needs to be healthy, that's why so many biologic systems struggle and so much of your body get involved. It's not just your intestines. Anyway, the more damage, the longer it may take to feel better. I've been gluten-free since November, and I'm just now starting to feel pretty good. It's only now, that my body is more "normal" that I'm realizing just how abnormal a lot of my processes were! Hopefully soon, my energy levels will be more in line with where I want them and can soon feel like a real person again. Hope the same for you! Good luck with the diet, have patience, and speedy recovery!

cojaro Newbie

That your intestines were so severely inflamed and unclered may be why you aren't feeling better as of yet. I'd give it two weeks, at least. You have to let your body repair the damage done.

Archived