This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What On Earth...

Lux

Lux Explorer

OK, so here's the thing: I have been gluten, dairy, soy and wheat free since Feb this year, and my symptoms have been improving remarkably. I was diagnosed, only a week ago, with IBS (as well as celiac disease). Just over the last week, I have started to develop this strange new symptom (which I have experienced only one other time on my life for an ongoing basis of a couple of weeks), which is just this constant experience of air trapped in my oesophegus - and the associated need to burp.

What do you suppose could be the cause of this? I am immigrating to the UK in just over a week, and have moved into my mother's house until my date of departure. The problem seems to have begun since I moved in with my Ma. Is this a sign of being glutened? Can I possibly attribute it to stress, or to the IBS? And is there anything I can do to treat this? It's nowhere near as awful as my previous symptoms were, but it just causes so much discomfort and I''m aware of this weird sensation all the time...

Any help would be wonderful!

Thanks!!!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jestgar Rising Star

Maybe it's acid reflux. Sometimes that presents as an esophageal spasm. Try taking an antacid to see if that makes it go away.

Ursa Major Collaborator

It could well be caused by cc (and being glutened CAN cause reflux, which this could be).

You could also be intolerant to other foods, like nightshade vegetables.

But since you have had this problem only since you moved in with your mother, my guess is that you are being glutened in your mother's house.

And by the way, IBS is bunch of symptoms, not a disease in itself. Something is causing your bowel to be irritated, and it is likely another intolerance that you haven't figured out yet.

curlyfries Contributor

I had acid reflux before going gluten free and then it went away, once on the diet. But recently it came back. One of my symptoms with reflux is that my throat will gurgle. Sort of like a burp, but burps come from much further down. This starts from the upper part of my throat. I eliminated sugar and it is getting better. (I have already eliminated dairy) So I agree with jestgar and ursa major.

Lisa

okgrace Apprentice

Last spring I was working at this awful school and I was so so stressed out. It felt like something was stuck in my throat for a couple of days and then my friend gave me prilosec or one of those and it went away. :) Never to return. Sound's like GERD to me.

kayavara Rookie

I was just about to post a question regarding burping.I have been burping alot for the last 5 months...without really knowing why.I will burp all day long.I feel like there is always some air that I could burp at all times.I don't get the acid backup or reflux with the burping...just the air.I am following the diet to the letter with only fresh fruits veg. etc.to confirm celiac disease or wheat intolorance in August when I am to be retested.Still confused on that issued as both scope and blood tests were negative.Doc still thinks Celiac as of now.

Kay

Ursa Major Collaborator
I was just about to post a question regarding burping.I have been burping alot for the last 5 months...without really knowing why.I will burp all day long.I feel like there is always some air that I could burp at all times.I don't get the acid backup or reflux with the burping...just the air.I am following the diet to the letter with only fresh fruits veg. etc.to confirm celiac disease or wheat intolorance in August when I am to be retested.Still confused on that issued as both scope and blood tests were negative.Doc still thinks Celiac as of now.

Kay

Have you eliminated dairy and soy? Those could be causing the acid reflux and burping.

Retesting you in August after being gluten-free will only result in more negative test results. It seems that your doctor is clueless about celiac disease.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lux Explorer

Thankyou so much all for your replies!

I certainly considered GERD, but don't have any of the other symptoms (heartburn, chest pains, etc) which point to it...it's just the fact that it has been going on for over a week now that I find it so strange. I will certainly try some antacids, though, and see if that works! (are they gluten free??)

curlyfries Contributor

Before I took out sugar I stopped eating the tangerines I was having every day. I think that was a big contributor. I would get a burning in my stomach and chest and I had a sore throat ( and that lump-in-the-throat feeling). I try to stay away from Prilosec now because I was on it for such a long time. And I have been able to control it with my diet.

Lisa

kayavara Rookie
Have you eliminated dairy and soy? Those could be causing the acid reflux and burping.

Retesting you in August after being gluten-free will only result in more negative test results. It seems that your doctor is clueless about celiac disease.

I haven't eliminated dairy and soy...but I should consider that as well.I suppose I put it wrong about being retested to confirm celiac disease in August.The doc says improvement with the diet will be his confirmation and of course if your gluten/wheat free...your tests should come back negative.I hope he's truly not clueless....I think I am at this point,though.I have had such highs and lows the past few days.I think I'm on to something at times and other times I stay confused.

Kay

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
I haven't eliminated dairy and soy...but I should consider that as well.I suppose I put it wrong about being retested to confirm celiac disease in August.The doc says improvement with the diet will be his confirmation and of course if your gluten/wheat free...your tests should come back negative.I hope he's truly not clueless....I think I am at this point,though.I have had such highs and lows the past few days.I think I'm on to something at times and other times I stay confused.

Kay

Your doctor is right, if you show improvement, that's pretty good confirmation. Otherwise, you've gotten some really good advice already!

Ursa Major Collaborator

Okay, I take that back. Too many doctors haven't got a clue what they are doing, and I assumed he was going to test you for celiac disease again, and then tell you that you don't have it if everything is negative.

Yellow Rose Explorer

When I first started elminating gluten from my life after a couple of months I was getting a little quesy, some stomach pains, and then I would start burping. It was driving me nuts. I found that I was actually hungry and would go eat a little bit of something and the burping and nausa would go away. I started eating smaller amounts of food more often like 1/2 an apple, or a hand full of nuts or raisins every couple of hours and it all went away. You are probably healing up and your body is realizing it can now get nutrients out of the food and wants more fuel. Give it a try.

Yellow Rose

Archived