Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

blondebombshell

Corn Grits

any good recipes? just bought a bag of corn grits/polenta and want to make something yummy!

- gluten free since August 2007

- endoscopy came back negative for celiac in December 2007

- bloodwork confirms egg allergy

- allergy testing confirms only banana, apple, melon, egg and environmental allergies

i get hives anywhere on my waist down and less bloating/constipation when i do not eat wheat.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

We love grits around here. I cook the grits according to the recipe. Then I add a bunch of cheddar cheese to it. We top with some garlic salt, pepper, and butter/margarine to taste. It's a yummy side dish. I've also thrown the leftovers in with some beans and quinoa before.

Some people like them sweet too, but not us.

Mom of:

Carleigh~ 10 years old, allergic to wheat, milk, peanuts, strawberries, and many EAs. She is currently soy-light and egg-light ~ celiac testing inconclusive by allergist.

Gluten-Free since 10/05 She's a gymnast. : )

Nick ~ 13 years old with no known allergies.

any good recipes? just bought a bag of corn grits/polenta and want to make something yummy!

Hi,

this recipe uses polenta in it and it's 'Awesome'.

Gluten Free Lemon Polenta and Almond meal Cake.

And here's a conversion link.

Gram to US Cup and Spoon converter

Best Regards,

David

Chronically Ill and lost 56lbs in 3 Months Prior to Diagnosis.

Diagnosed in Nov 2005 after Biopsy and Blood Tests

Cannot tolerate Codex Wheat Starch.

Self Taught Baker.

Bake everything from scratch using naturally gluten-free ingredients.

OOoops! hit post twice.

Chronically Ill and lost 56lbs in 3 Months Prior to Diagnosis.

Diagnosed in Nov 2005 after Biopsy and Blood Tests

Cannot tolerate Codex Wheat Starch.

Self Taught Baker.

Bake everything from scratch using naturally gluten-free ingredients.

This is a specialty in our house.

Cook them according to the direction, but substitute Swanson's Chicken Broth for the Water. I also add whatever cheese I have in the house (butterhase if my fav.)

You can serve with eggs and ham or bacon. I love to serve it with sauted shrimp and mushrooms on top.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Try this recipe:

MICROWAVE POLENTA

Combine:

2-1/2 cups water

1/2 cup cornmeal

1 teaspoon sea salt (less if using table salt)

in an 8-cup glass measure or med. glass bowl. Cook on high for 5 min. Stir, cover loosely w/paper towel, and cook 5 minutes longer.

Remove from oven, uncover, and stir in

2 tablespoons butter

a pinch of fresh-ground pepper

2-3 tablespoons cheese (fresh-grated parm, goat cheese, sharp cheddar, Monterey Jack) or additional butter

Let stand 3 minutes; serve hot.

I often make this with the addition of chevre goat cheese and chopped green onion. This is comfort food at it's best.

or try this one:

Creamy Soft Polenta (Linda Carruci)

1 1/2 cups polenta

5-6 cups chicken stock or broth

1 tsp kosher salt

2 ounces Italian Fontina, diced or shredded

1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese

1. In a 3 quart saucier combine the polenta, 5 cups of the chicken stock, and the salt. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Stir, cover, reduce heat to the lowest setting and leave it for 8 minutes. Stir with a heat proof spatula and taste. When it's done the polenta grains should be tender, but firm, not mushy. If it's not done, stir in a 1/4 cup of the remaining stock and stir over low heat until it's absorbed. Continue to add stock and stir until done. You won't necessarily use all of the stock but add enough that it's loose enough to spread. The cheese will tighten it up some.

2. Remove the pan from the heat, add the fontina cheese. When the fontina has melted, add the parmesan. Taste and add salt if needed. If it's too tight, add a little stock or milk.

Any number of dairy products, cream, milk, or cheese, will keep polenta soft and flowing. Otherwise, as it cools, it firms up considerably. This one, I've spread the leftover in a small dish and cut into triangles that I've crisped and spooned bolognese over, sprinkled a little more parmesan. It's taboo probably, but I reheat it just as it is, as well.