Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JgeorgeSCR

Would Like Some Help

Still have a lot to learning to do. I have lost some weight probably due to malabsorption...However, I was wondering if people have lost weight while starting the gluten-free diet. Also, are muscle aches, stiffness and joint pain common. Finally, does anyone have any idea when the body start absorbing nutrients again. Is this realted to villi healing?

Any suggestions on any other medical test I should be aware since my PCP does seem to informed about Celiac Disease?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Before being diagnosed I dropped 60lbs over 6 months until they figured out it was celiac. Once going totally gluten free

and not getting sick after eating I put on 80 lbs in the next year -- Would have rather not gained anything since I was always big. The aches and pains, go away in time but its a good idea to get vitamin and hormone levels checked.

Ken

Still have a lot to learning to do. I have lost some weight probably due to malabsorption...However, I was wondering if people have lost weight while starting the gluten-free diet. Also, are muscle aches, stiffness and joint pain common. Finally, does anyone have any idea when the body start absorbing nutrients again. Is this realted to villi healing?

Any suggestions on any other medical test I should be aware since my PCP does seem to informed about Celiac Disease?

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

There are a few common nutrient deficiencies which might be contributing to the aches and pains. The ones which come to mind are magnesium, and methylcobalamin (B12). Make sure the B12 is a sublingual too. Other things which would probably be a good idea are vitamin D, a decent B complex, calcium, zinc, and possibly iron. Many recommend taking a quality multi-vitamin. What has done surprisingly well for me are the magnesium and B12. These have helped with practically everything, from sleep cycles to muscle pain, skin, hair and nail health, and oodles more stuff.

As the villi return to normal, you should be absorbing better, so at some point you may not need so much supplementation, but there may always be the need for some. I suppose it depends on a few factors, such as diet, frequency of accidental glutenings, percentage of intestinal recovery, and so forth.

Something else to consider is that until your gut has healed, you'll likely find it advantageous to limit certain kinds of foods. What to cut back or eliminate seems to vary widely from person to person. At first I needed to limit proteins, carbs, and salt. Now, normal amounts of salt and proteins don't seem to be a problem. However, my gut is still not all that happy with carbs.

HTH

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.