Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lapentola

Strange Question

I live down wind of a wonder bread factory and I was wondering if that would be bad for my health. We regularly smell baking bread and about once a week they clean their ovens by burning off everything inside. (It smells like toast!!)

It smells wonderful, but I have heard that gluten can make it's way through the air. We are 1/4-1/2 of a mile away from the factory, and yes, we own our home. Any thoughts?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

That has to be tough. (smelling toast daily). I know for me breathing flour by accident always makes me sick. I read on the forum it takes 24 hours for flour in the air to settle on the ground.

You might check first, with local regulations about exhausts from factories and then find out if they have an afterburner or air filters and cleaners. I would guess it would cost plenty to test if there are gluten containing particles in the air around your house but in the long run it might be good for your health and peace of mind.

Ken

I live down wind of a wonder bread factory and I was wondering if that would be bad for my health. We regularly smell baking bread and about once a week they clean their ovens by burning off everything inside. (It smells like toast!!)

It smells wonderful, but I have heard that gluten can make it's way through the air. We are 1/4-1/2 of a mile away from the factory, and yes, we own our home. Any thoughts?

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

My knowledge of gluten things is minimal right now, but I do know the science of airborne particles (I have strange hobbies, don't ask). Yes, the particles can be in the air for a certain amount of time, but they are refering to basic particles (the flour part because of the fine nature of the particle). The result smell (the wonder smell of baked bread), is not as particulated and thus should serve no issue. However, you would need to be careful if you began to notice buildup of raw materials in and around your area. This would mean that these particles are escaping the bakery and making their way into the air. This would be highly unlikely, as a leak of raw materials would be a cost issue and they would be taking steps to avoid the profit loss. Result - it would take something like a "chemical" spill or an exploding flour truck to really be a factor in your health.

A Good Friend can keep a secret. A Best Friend will help you bury the bodies.

I know your right about the smell not being a factor but there are airborne particles of flour unless the manufacturing process is totally encased. Having been affected by walking near a store bakery and standing outside a pizza place, I can say that flour is in the air and it is dangerous to many celiacs. Someone in a thread a few weeks ago mentioned flour and gluten on the molecular level as being a problem so we're not talking mass, just existence of particles. I can deal with vog here in Hawaii but cant walk though the wine section at Costco with out getting sick as its next to the bakery.

ken

My knowledge of gluten things is minimal right now, but I do know the science of airborne particles (I have strange hobbies, don't ask). Yes, the particles can be in the air for a certain amount of time, but they are refering to basic particles (the flour part because of the fine nature of the particle). The result smell (the wonder smell of baked bread), is not as particulated and thus should serve no issue. However, you would need to be careful if you began to notice buildup of raw materials in and around your area. This would mean that these particles are escaping the bakery and making their way into the air. This would be highly unlikely, as a leak of raw materials would be a cost issue and they would be taking steps to avoid the profit loss. Result - it would take something like a "chemical" spill or an exploding flour truck to really be a factor in your health.

Japanese proverb

Well, you and I are on the same page. What you are seeing is the results of the raw particles being in the air. Tossing dough and large mixing will throw these particles in the air, and thus you come in contact with them at Costco and other places you visit. However, unless you get sick at Costco the second you walk in the door, you have seen that the particles have a limited range. Though on a much larger scale in a factory, dispersion over a large area would limit exposure even if there was a large airborne issue. However, it isn't an outdoor factory (one would suppose), so raw materials should be limited to interior dispersal. Disposal of such debris could be mildly problematic to those outside the factory, but once again - you are limited to exposure by distance and amount. Unless you see a cloud being spewed out of an exhaust fan, you should be OK. This was actually proven in several cases involving hazardous materials. The contamination came from the disposal, not the process of manufacture. However, 99% of exposure issues were related to ground contamination, not airborne issues. If you worked at the factory, then yes, you are in a too close a proximity and in a confined area.

A Good Friend can keep a secret. A Best Friend will help you bury the bodies.

You know, I also live about 1/2 mile downwind of a large bakery, and can often smell the lovely scent of fresh bread baking (yes it is as torturous as it sounds). I have often wondered if whatever is wafting my way could negatively influence me, but I guess there's not really much I can do, since I also own my house and thus cannot just move elsewhere. I do wish there was an easy way to tell what, exactly, is being spewed out, though! :)

I believe that if you have direct contact with wheat/flour and/or breath it in in the same vicinity - yes, that can definitely make you sick. But smelling the bread baking 1/4 mile away? Not so sure about that. Don't get too worried about the nasty affects wheat can possibly have on you - I'm no doctor, but I should think you'd be safe.

Years ago I borrowed a white one for my kid to use on halloween. Stuffed it with balloons so he could be the staypuff marsh mellow monster from Ghostbusters.

If you go outside often then I suggest you purchase one of these: http://www.approvedgasmasks.com/suit-TK640.htm

Japanese proverb