This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Do You Do?

katebuggie28

katebuggie28 Apprentice

I do not work, but I just finished my degree with the hopes of having a new career. I have had a few calls about my resume the last few days. Im self dx 05/15/08, and I am so drained and sore. The economy is pretty bad, and I need money, but I don't know if I can do it right now. How do you all work with this? I can't have caffeine or anything like that, so I'm at a loss. Should I go ahead and schedule interviews, and grin and bear it until I am feeling better? Money is tight.....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

katebuggie28 Apprentice

oh, I left out my main concern. :) I'm am also scared through my trial and error diet that I will eat something that I have an adverse affect to, and not be able to sleep all night. I won't be able to get up in the morning. Also, what do I do if I get sick at work? (I get severe ab. pains) I can't start a job with "problems." It won't last long.

Ursa Major Collaborator

What did you study, and what kind of work are you hoping to do?

Phyllis28 Apprentice

Based on the information you supplied you might want to consider interviewing. Depending on the employer, the interviewing and hiring process can take a week to several weeks. Also, with the competion for jobs, it may take a while to find receive a job offer. At this point you maybe feeling better and up to working. You can always turn a job offer down.

Also, when I have interviewed in the past I have always looked around to make sure I can eat safely. I never ask these questions during an interview but keep them in mind as I walk through the employment location. Is there a microwave? Is there a refrigerator? How clean is the lunch area? Will I have my own desk to eat at?

Since you are new to the diet I would suggest that you bring all your own food to work. You can look for safe out to eat options a little later. I bring my lunch each day in a soft side lunch box. I put Blue Ice mats in to keep it cold. This way I do not have to use the refrigerator. Where I work if you use the refrigerator you are expected to take your turn cleaning it. I don't want to clean other peoples gluten mess.

I wipe down the front of the microwave and the area in front of it before I heat my lunch. I always put a paper towel under my lunch when I heat it up and I make sure I have a cover on top of my lunch. I eat at my desk. Since we don't have a lunch room I am not out of place. If there is a pot luck or a celebration to go out to eat bring your own food along and join your co-workers.

The above suggestions assume you are applying for a desk job. If not, please post this. There are additional coping strategies for non desk jobs.

I would also suggest that you eat naturally gluten free to start with and avoid processed foods. This will keep you healthy. If you can, make your home gluten free so cross contamination is not a risk.

One other suggestion since you are concerned about getting up in the morning would be to locate a job with afternoon and/or evening hours. This may or may not work with your new profession.

Hope all goes well and you feel better.

katebuggie28 Apprentice

Well I would be working at a doctors office (medical assistant) Which type of practice is yet to be determined by my interview outcomes. It helps some to know that there would be a doctor around, but there are several issues with that. #1 some doctors have no idea what celiac disease is. #2 I could look like I am trying to use my position there to get free health care and/or advice (which most doctors hate unless you have an established relationship with them) #3 I have to be reliable #4 I don't want to tell them I have this up front because it wouldn't look good. I am prepared to bring much lunch everyday, and I will make sure it is a "safe" food for me. (salad.) :( As far as CCing I went out today and bought a new cutting board, cups, knives, forks, spoons,whisk,spatulas,slotted spoons, scissors, foil, salad spinner, bowls, measuring cups/bowls, can opener, baking sheets etc..etc.. (exhausted now) I did not get a new toaster yet because I do not think I am ready to branch out into gluten-free bread yet. I got what I thought I would use in the near future and the rest I will pick up along the way. I have made a seperate area in my kitchen for me and I have explained to my children about it. Thanks so much for your responses. It means a great deal.

Jestgar Rising Star

Do interview.

Don't mention your eating issues.

Decide before you start this that you will NEVER ask your boss or associates for health care advice. First, because you aren't paying them to do their job, which is unfair and disrespectful, and second, because you really don't want people you work with knowing that much about your health, at least until you know them better.

Archived