Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Peej

Hawaiian Tropic Sunscreen

I was glutened last weekend and after going through every little detail of the weekend's events, the only thing that could have caused it, unless there was some cc involved aomewhere (unlikely), was the sunscreen.

I checked with the company about it and they couldn't guarantee that the product was gluten free (here's the response I got: Thank you for your inquiry. We do not add wheat or wheat germ oil to our formulas; however, we are not certain that it is not included in the raw materials we purchase. If you have allergy concerns, we suggest you consider purchasing products from our Banana Boat line for the time being. In the future, we hope to provide you with specific product recommendations for Hawaiian Tropic.

Given that response, the sunscreen was likely the culprit but I wanted to see if anyone else had had a reaction to it.

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I used some a week ago and didn't have a reaction. Even if it does contain gluten, you would have to ingest it somehow of course. I may very well have done this because I accidentally got some on my face near my mouth. But I didn't notice anything afterward, so I'll be using it again this summer.

I know this is a 4 year old thread.

For the past few days I've been on a full elimination diet - eating only 5 clean foods, and only prepared by me.

Yesterday, I decided to lay out at the pool for an hour. I applied some Hawaiin Tropic Tanning Oil, and was fully affected.

It didn't all add up until waking up an hour ago and feeling like I ran 2 marathons yesterday, but in fact even walking home from the pool yesterday brain fog settled in and visual acuity diminished. I wrote it off to laying out in the 110 degree sun for 90 minutes. The slight bloating I tried to ignore, and the same with the constipation. Getting up a little while ago though, I haven't had this much joint pain since I did my re-glutening for blood testing.