Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

minnow

Still Bloating And Cramping After Glutten Free For 7 Weeks

Can anyone offer me advice on how long it took or takes to feel much better after being diagonosed with celiac. I was diagnosed approx 7 weeks ago and have tried to be very deligent about being gluten free. I felt immediately better the first 2 weeks then I believe I was contaminated somehow and was very sick for 3 days. Felt better againbut now am experiencing bloating and cramping again almost like before I began the gluten free diet. My Father got tested and has all the genetic markers for celiac and many many signs but refuses to admit he has celiac. My whole family that is parents brothers and sister have been very unsupportive almost angry that I was diagnosed. My own family has been the opposite my husband and 4 kids have been great they just forget like I do and it is hard to change your whole life after 45 years. Anyway, is it normal to feel better then worse and will the bloating and cramps ever go away? I can't really rmember what it feels like to not have pain in your stomach. I worry about cancer or something worse but my Dr. did the blood test for c ancer a cat scan and ultrasound so I quess I am covered. Any help in any of these questions would be sooo appreciated. I just don't know anyone who can say to me oh that is normal and this might happen but hang in there or something encouraging. Also my Fathers mother my grandmother has been anemic her whole life and for the past year has been losing weight and has to have blood transfusions every month. They have tested her for everything and can't find anything wrong. She has also broken several bones this year. She has always had stomach problems and they won't test her for celieac. Everyone acts as if I have done or said something wrong and I am the strange weird one. Sorry for the ramble but please help.........

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I was just reading that massive doses of pro-biotic bacteria does a lot to heal celiac. If you can get the enteric coated ones and make sure they have a number of strains. Also eating kefir or yogurt if you can tolerate them might help and/or cultured live sauerkraut.

Bromelain/papain caps and pancreatin digestive enzymes could really help too.

I have found taking marshmallow root and/or slippery elm will also help heal reduce inflammation and soothe the lining of the gut.

Using Dandelion root or milk thistle caps would be good too. Avoid tinctures due to the alcohol.

Consider too you might be encountering more hidden glutens. Or having more food sensitivity problems to other things.

Bea

Diagnosed celiac sprue as infant: failure to thrive & pneumonia-back on grains age 4. Began herbs 1971 combating chronic kidney disease/general ill health 1973. Avoid wheat family and "allergens" by 1980. Late 80's doc. diagnosed candida: cave-man diet. Diagnosed degraded myelin sheath 2006; need co-enzyme B vitamins. Discovered celiac fall 2007; finally told diagnosis as infant. Recently found I am salicylic acid intolerant. Ironically can't tolerate most herbs now. Can now eat brown rice & other gluten-free grains (except corn) & even maple syrup & now homeopathic medicine works! Am still exploring the shape of this elephant but I've made progress!

Have you eliminated dairy? I, too, started feeling good at first then got worse again. Many celiac's can't handle dairy until they have had plenty of time to heal. For me, it felt just the same as being glutened.

Keep a food journal and keep reading this forum. When I first started, I read tons of old threads. The ones with "newbie" in the title would be a good start.

Hang in there.....it'll get better ;)

Lisa

~~Lisa~~

"The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it."--Moliere

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be."--Douglas Adams

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!--Amanda

gluten-free since 1/08

happy%20dance%20penguin.gif

I can tell you that you are not alone. I am around 8 weeks in and I have ups and downs. Had a really bad week last, but feeling pretty good today. And no migraines in the last 6 weeks!!! Yeah!!!

Hang in there....it is normal to not heal on a constant incline.

GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!

I can tell you that you are not alone. I am around 8 weeks in and I have ups and downs. Had a really bad week last, but feeling pretty good today. And no migraines in the last 6 weeks!!! Yeah!!!

Hang in there....it is normal to not heal on a constant incline.

Thanks for your encouragement. I am trying to be positive it is soo unknown waters I am going all alone it is hard to know what is normal. thanks again Mindy :)

I was just reading that massive doses of pro-biotic bacteria does a lot to heal celiac. If you can get the enteric coated ones and make sure they have a number of strains. Also eating kefir or yogurt if you can tolerate them might help and/or cultured live sauerkraut.

Bromelain/papain caps and pancreatin digestive enzymes could really help too.

I have found taking marshmallow root and/or slippery elm will also help heal reduce inflammation and soothe the lining of the gut.

Using Dandelion root or milk thistle caps would be good too. Avoid tinctures due to the alcohol.

Consider too you might be encountering more hidden glutens. Or having more food sensitivity problems to other things.

Bea

Thanks for your advice where should I order the digestive enzymes and probiotics? Is there a web site. Do yoiu have to do this for the rest of your life??? Or do you heal eventually. How long have you been well and how long did it take? Thanks so much for you help. Mindy :)

Have you eliminated dairy? I, too, started feeling good at first then got worse again. Many celiac's can't handle dairy until they have had plenty of time to heal. For me, it felt just the same as being glutened.

Keep a food journal and keep reading this forum. When I first started, I read tons of old threads. The ones with "newbie" in the title would be a good start.

Hang in there.....it'll get better ;)

Lisa

Thanks for the info I love cheese soo much but I had gotten off dairy before I was diagnosed but went back on when I was diagnosed so I guess it could be a problem. How long have you been well since you wwere diagnosed?? THanks for any advice and help. Mindy :)

Since I have been gluten-free I have been very careful, but I have to do foods one at a time. I am now intolerent to corn, beef and tomato sauces (not tomatoes alone) If I eat any of those things I get cramps etc... I have also found that I can eat american cheese, but not white american. Try ground turkey meat, chicken, fish, potatoes and rice for awhile to see if it gets better. When I first started I thought I was going to starve to death. :) Now anytime I try a new food, and I tolerate it well I get excited! Good luck.

How long have you been celiac??? How long did it take untill you were cramp and bloating free?? I am going to try the strict veggies meat thing. What about yogurt cheese is that ok? It just seems like there is not much to eat??? thanks for all your help.. Mindy :)

Mindy, I was diagnosed with Celiac in April and also found I still had the SAME PROBLEMS! I stopped eating dairy -- though I sneak in trace amounts for the milk in my coffee and tea.

It's made a huge difference, and I also added those enzymes, which I bought from Vitamin Shoppe (GNC also sells many kinds). I bought a Canadian kind that has several enzymes in one pill. I take them twice a day.

If I eliminate dairy from my diet entirely, my digestive system is a calm, placid lake. My doctor advised I stay off dairy for the next couple of months so the villi heal. They were quite damaged, according to the endoscopy.

I used to be disgusted by the idea of soymilk, but Silk's unflavored, unsweetened (green carton) soy milk is delicious.

Haven't noticed whether eggs or cheese really affect me - they aren't composed the way milk and yoghurt are. Milk and yoghurt are the worst for me.

Good luck!

Liz

"Milk and yoghurt are the worst for me."

Shows everyone is different. I can handle nonfat organic yogurt but not any other milk, cultured cheeses or whatever.

Am glad to hear that the enzymes are really helping you. Are you taking pro-biotics too?

Anyone here who also has to avoid all tocopherols in hand creams, soaps, lipstick etc.?? By avoiding them I no longer have the body aches and pains, headaches and strained tendons etc. I used to have. Now I can dig in my garden and just get tired--but no aching joints and no bunched hip and back muscles and no headaches!! Instead of going on 59 I feel like I am going on 39, if not younger.

Bea

Diagnosed celiac sprue as infant: failure to thrive & pneumonia-back on grains age 4. Began herbs 1971 combating chronic kidney disease/general ill health 1973. Avoid wheat family and "allergens" by 1980. Late 80's doc. diagnosed candida: cave-man diet. Diagnosed degraded myelin sheath 2006; need co-enzyme B vitamins. Discovered celiac fall 2007; finally told diagnosis as infant. Recently found I am salicylic acid intolerant. Ironically can't tolerate most herbs now. Can now eat brown rice & other gluten-free grains (except corn) & even maple syrup & now homeopathic medicine works! Am still exploring the shape of this elephant but I've made progress!