Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

starrymazed

Dr Dx'ed Me... But Biopsy Negative

I mentioned in another thread that I had the endoscopy and biopsy done last week. I immediately found that I have a gastric ulcer, slow emptying stomach (but no diabetes), GERD, scalloped mucosa, and a small hiatal hernia. I have had many different skin issues for years, and stomach and head problems since I was a small child, along with bipolar disorder and anxiety. The biopsies came in today, and my dr told me that though I came back negative for celiac, duodentis, h. pylori, and only have mild gastritis, she fully believes that I have celiac based on the previously mentioned list and the fact that I was gluten free for two weeks before I found out I was going to have the endoscopy. I had a blood test while gluten free which was negative as well. My only reason for still thinking celiac (aside from the positive reaction while gluten-free) was the scalloped mucosa. Now, I don't know how many samples they took, and while I am entirely grateful for such a wonderful doctor, I still am longing for a more "definitive" answer. As far as my family and friends know, I have celiac. But, for me personally, I was hoping for the "gold standard" to prove to myself. Did or does anyone else feel this way? My dr fully believes that I have celiac's, and I will undoubtedly continue a gluten-free diet. I was just hoping for that positive, you know? :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I felt and and at times still do feel as if I need a more positive dx.....although,not very often.Like yours,my GI thinks it's Celiac or gluten/wheat intolerance based on symptoms and blunted villi...which seems positive to me.I tested negative on both blood and endoscopy tests...but had a positive reaction to the diet for over 2 months now.My family, sees such a huge difference in me,as well.

I guess it would be nice to know for sure but I won't go back to gluten regardless because I know what it does to me.

Good luck and good health.

Kay

Gluten free since 4/11/08

Positive dietary response

Blood test negative

Endoscopy negative biopsy

but found :" Villous blunting and atrophy" and

"Gastric mucosal abnormality characterized by erythema"

Doctor insisted I need to go gluten free for at least 4 months

Best thing I ever did!