Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

margiemakes

Newly Discovered Soy Sensitivity

Hi All

I have been having trouble with feeling sick way more often than the times I thought I had maybe taken a risk or had a chance of CC and so I've been experimenting in excluding dairy (no change) and soy (seems to be heaps better!)

So I am wondering if others on here who are also soy intolerant can give me some advice please:

Are there any soy-based ingredients which are safe to consume in the same way that some wheat based ingredients are like glucose syrup or caramel colouring? Or is it likely to be the whole soy content that I am reacting to rather than a component like gluten is to wheat?

For example I am noticing soy lecithin in most everything and finding that cuts out a huge number of options that were previously on my safe list, hard enough avoiding gluten as it is without avoiding that too...

Also, has anyone got any suggestions for a replacement for soy sauce? My diet has moved a lot to asian style cooking since mostly those kinds of dishes are easy to make gluten free but when I am excluding soy sauce it makes it a lot harder to make stuff be tasty!

Interesting side note for those who talk about being scared to travel - I actually felt a whole lot better when I was overseas recently and eating mostly the same diet that I am on at home, I ate a lot of homemade sandwiches etc, but as soon as I got home I started feeling bad again and realised that the main real change I had made when I came home was switching back to soy milk instead of dairy milk. (Yes I was drinking a certified gluten-free brand of soy milk) so that's what tipped me off that soy was probably my problem!

Thanks in advance!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Are there any soy-based ingredients which are safe to consume in the same way that some wheat based ingredients are like glucose syrup or caramel colouring?

YIPES!!! I don't consider those safe at all!!

For example I am noticing soy lecithin in most everything and finding that cuts out a huge number of options that were previously on my safe list, hard enough avoiding gluten as it is without avoiding that too...

Noooooooooooo kiddin - soy lecithin is in a ton of processed foods. :(

I've been soy-free ~ a year.

I have seen ppl say they have a problem w/ soy but are fine w/ soy lecithin. I think I'm not, but I'm not all that sure about it.

>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03

Dairy-free since 10-04

Soy-free since 5-07

I don't worry about soy lecithin, but I also don't eat a lot of processed foods, so I don't get very much in general. Same with soy oil.

"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"

- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

I don't worry about soy lecithin, but I also don't eat a lot of processed foods, so I don't get very much in general. Same with soy oil.

ditto

"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

For some it seems that the soy isn't as much of a problem as the carageean in the soy milk. Someone clued me in to that and it explains why some soy milks bother me and others never seemed to. I've also heard that the fermented soy products like soy sauce and miso are less of a problem in some ways.

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

Hi All

I have been having trouble with feeling sick way more often than the times I thought I had maybe taken a risk or had a chance of CC and so I've been experimenting in excluding dairy (no change) and soy (seems to be heaps better!)

So I am wondering if others on here who are also soy intolerant can give me some advice please:

Are there any soy-based ingredients which are safe to consume in the same way that some wheat based ingredients are like glucose syrup or caramel colouring? Or is it likely to be the whole soy content that I am reacting to rather than a component like gluten is to wheat?

Also, has anyone got any suggestions for a replacement for soy sauce? My diet has moved a lot to asian style cooking since mostly those kinds of dishes are easy to make gluten free but when I am excluding soy sauce it makes it a lot harder to make stuff be tasty!

Interesting side note for those who talk about being scared to travel - I actually felt a whole lot better when I was overseas recently and eating mostly the same diet that I am on at home, I ate a lot of homemade sandwiches etc, but as soon as I got home I started feeling bad again and realised that the main real change I had made when I came home was switching back to soy milk instead of dairy milk. (Yes I was drinking a certified gluten-free brand of soy milk) so that's what tipped me off that soy was probably my problem!

Thanks in advance!

I never tried this but just found it...yay! allrecipes.com/Recipe/Soy-Sauce-Substitute/Detail.aspx

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

Thanks everyone!

I will look at making that soy sauce substitute soon, Purple. :)

I wondered if maybe the soy lecithin was okay because I forgot to check before I ate some chocolate from my regular gluten-free brand that had that in it and felt fine afterwards.

Missy'smom - I have just looked up the soymilk I was drinking and it does have carageenan in it! I wonder if I should try a brand that doesn't or just stick with milk now seeing as that's working for me... I'd like to be able to use soy sauce and soy derivatives if it's not the soy that's the problem but the carageenan!

Tom - The Australian coeliac society recommends wheat glucose syrup and caramel colouring as safe and I have never had a reaction to either! Apparently they are so highly processed that all the gluten is removed during the purification.