Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

leadmeastray88

Tired Of Playing Games - Finally Gone Gluten Free

A few weeks ago I had some testing done to check for parasites, as my surgeon said he'd like to rule that out before we talk scopes. I thought that was fair, so I did the testing. I got my results yesterday - they were negative for parasites.

I was relieved and was looking forward to talking scopes, when he told me "I think you have IBS. You're too young for me to be sticking telescopes in you. Plus, you've been through enough already this past year." He wrote me a prescription and told me to come back in a month.

I pretty much left there in tears. I know you'll all say I should have spoken up and demanded a scope. However, we have been very close over the past year because he cured my hernia problems that were caused bya birth defect which was ruining my life. I have so much respect for this guy, it's not even funny. But I'm sick of waiting, I'm sick of being sick. A month is a long time, I'm sure most of you can relate.

When I got home I talked to my mom, who was also shocked that he didn't suggest more testing for gastro issues or food intolerances etc etc. My mom said I should try the gluten free diet anyway. My grandma was also there and she argued that I should just take the pills and see him in a month. My grandma also said "well if the pills help then problem solved!" All I was thinking was 'No..problem not solved. I'd be on pills for the rest of my life - I'm 19!' I couldn't believe how emotional I was getting over this. I think it's more frustration than anything.

So today is my first day gluten free.

I kind of wanted a diagnosis for the same reason anyone does - just to have peace of mind, to know it's not all going to be for nothing, to make everyone else around you take it seriously... but I've realized that its really only me who needs to take it seriously, not everyone else. Maybe I'll give Enterolab a try.

I just wanted to thank all the people here (and I'm sure they know who they are) who have helped me cope with this and have been so encouraging not only to me but to everyone here. :)

Kim

~Kim~ Gluten-Free since July 2008

9 inguinal hernia surgeries in 3 years (2004-2007)

Symptoms Pre-Dx: constant abdominal cramps, acid reflux, nausea, vitamin B12 deficiency, chronic constipation, fatigue, hyperhidrosis, migraines

July 7/08 - tTG 1 (+>4) - Diagnosed with IBS, given Rx, sent home to "relax"

Gastro refused biopsy as I had "already been though enough"

Enterolab Results (Aug 2008) - Fecal Antigliadin IgA 11 (Normal Range <10 Units)

HLA-DQB1 Molecular Analysis, Allele 1 0202

HLA-DQB1 Molecular Analysis, Allele 2 0301

Sept/09 - New GP gave Celiac Dx based on response to diet and family history

National Celiac Disease Conference 2010 Volunteer

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Im rooting for you!!

GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!

Good luck! Even if you don't clinically have celiac you could be gluten intolerant. So going without for a month is a good plan. I'd keep your doc informed since he seems to care about you.

Bea

Diagnosed celiac sprue as infant: failure to thrive & pneumonia-back on grains age 4. Began herbs 1971 combating chronic kidney disease/general ill health 1973. Avoid wheat family and "allergens" by 1980. Late 80's doc. diagnosed candida: cave-man diet. Diagnosed degraded myelin sheath 2006; need co-enzyme B vitamins. Discovered celiac fall 2007; finally told diagnosis as infant. Recently found I am salicylic acid intolerant. Ironically can't tolerate most herbs now. Can now eat brown rice & other gluten-free grains (except corn) & even maple syrup & now homeopathic medicine works! Am still exploring the shape of this elephant but I've made progress!