Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Martyg

Lactose In Thyroid Meds

Hey,

I was diagnosed with celiac in 2005, IBS in the '60's and Hashimoto's thyroid in 1999. I recently had to change my thyroid meds because my antibodies had reached over 1,000. The pill, I discovered yesterday, has lactose and corn starch in it. Is it possible that the ingredients, due to an already compromised system, have a negative effect.

We also went out about two weeks ago and as soon as I got home, I had a serious bout of diarrhea. Now I spoke with the chief and let him know my limitation, but who knows.

Also, because the diet has it's limitation (I am also a vegatarian) does anyone thing it is possible to become allergic to the few grains that we can eat, and if so, what then.

Thanks for your response.

Marty

IBS-1964

Hashi's-1999

Celiac-2005

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Yes you can become sensitive to other grains. Especially while your gut is healing. Armour contains corn starch. So it is more likely the lactose in your new pills that is a problem.

It could also be that your body utilized the natural hormones better than the synthetic. This is very common. I cannot take synthetic. And my Sister didnt do well on synthetic either until she added a small amount of Armour to her regular dose. Now my Mom is trying to get some Armour to add to hers after hearing how well we are doing with the natural.

From what I am seeing, a lot of vegetarian Celiacs are finding it hard to eat the alternative grains too. This sucks big time for you. I wish I knew what to tell you other than get to know squashes and potatoes more intimately.

GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!

Yes you can become sensitive to other grains. Especially while your gut is healing. Armour contains corn starch. So it is more likely the lactose in your new pills that is a problem.

It could also be that your body utilized the natural hormones better than the synthetic. This is very common. I cannot take synthetic. And my Sister didnt do well on synthetic either until she added a small amount of Armour to her regular dose. Now my Mom is trying to get some Armour to add to hers after hearing how well we are doing with the natural.

From what I am seeing, a lot of vegetarian Celiacs are finding it hard to eat the alternative grains too. This sucks big time for you. I wish I knew what to tell you other than get to know squashes and potatoes more intimately.

IBS-1964

Hashi's-1999

Celiac-2005

If I get to know my veggies any better, I think my husbanc will leave me. :lol:

MartyG

IBS-1964

Hashi's-1999

Celiac-2005