Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

overthemoon

Coping With Diviticulitis Also

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Does anyone have diviticulitis also? and how are you coping with a diet without bran and much fiber and one that requires bran and fiber?

I have a gastric diverticulum - so not exactly diverticulitis. And, I haven't been given any treatment instructions yet (just found it last Thursday), but I do know a little about fiber. Beans have tons of fiber, and they're really nutritious and have lots of protein too. Brown rice has lots of fiber. Just because you can't have wheat doesn't mean that you can't have grains, right? Try quinoa (from a certified gluten-free source). Corn is pretty fibery (is that a word?). I found this on the NIH website (and omitted references to gluten-containing foods. There's quite a lot you can eat:

Amount of Fiber in Some Foods

Fruits

Apple, raw, with skin 1 medium = 3.3 grams

Peach, raw 1 medium = 1.5 grams

Pear, raw 1 medium = 5.1 grams

Tangerine, raw 1 medium = 1.9 grams

Vegetables

Asparagus, fresh, cooked 4 spears = 1.2 grams

Broccoli, fresh, cooked 1/2 cup = 2.6 grams

Brussels sprouts, fresh, cooked 1/2 cup = 2 grams

Cabbage, fresh, cooked 1/2 cup = 1.5 grams

Carrot, fresh, cooked 1/2 cup = 2.3 grams

Cauliflower, fresh, cooked 1/2 cup = 1.7 grams

Romaine lettuce 1 cup = 1.2 grams

Spinach, fresh, cooked 1/2 cup = 2.2 grams

Summer squash, cooked 1 cup = 2.5 grams

Tomato, raw 1 = 1 gram

Winter squash, cooked 1 cup = 5.7 grams

Starchy Vegetables

Baked beans, canned, plain 1/2 cup = 6.3 grams

Kidney beans, fresh, cooked 1/2 cup = 5.7 grams

Lima beans, fresh, cooked 1/2 cup = 6.6 grams

Potato, fresh, cooked 1 = 2.3 grams

Grains

Brown rice, cooked 1 cup = 3.5 grams

White rice, cooked 1 cup = 0.6 grams

-------

I hope that helps!

I have it. When I was diagnosed the diverticuli were the worst the doctor had ever seen and went throughout my entire intestines rather than just the usual left side. I get my fiber from fruits and veggies mostly, sweet potatoes are a great regulator, and gluten free helped a great deal with this condition for me. I had a scope at 5 years gluten free and the GI was amazed as most of the diverticuli were gone. You may find the diet itself gives a great deal of help, once your system gets rid of the offending gluten antibodies it can be surprising how many things improve.

Cami, great list. Make sure you check out the NIH household products database, it has a lot of nonfood sources of gluten also. Not all inclusive but not too bad either.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)