Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guhlia

Seltzer's Lebanon Balogna

Does anyone know if Seltzer's slim slices are gluten free? I got glutened badly on Saturday and that's the only thing I can think of that may have caused it. I know their sweet balogna is gluten free, but I must've grabbed the wrong thing and it tasted the same. I didn't notice I had the wrong package until after I ate a slice.

~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hello, I have no clue about the bologna, But I am glad to hear from someone from Pa LOVE bologna cant get it here in tennessee. No one has a clue. I grew up in York Pa. Scrapple is also unknown down here.

sorry I have no answer for you.

I checked out several brands of lebanon boloney and they said they were gluten-free - sorry I don't have those e-mails anymore to confirm. If it's a new style (like "light" or "low fat") it could be different. When I was a kid I called it "My Favorite Meat" and ate it almost every day. I can still remember the unique taste of a lebanon boloney sandwich that has sat in your school locker all morning. It's hard to find outside of PA. Did you ever try it fried? Cut each piece in half and make a few cuts in the outer edge to keep it flat, then fry it until it shrinks and the fat cooks out. Pile up a huge quantity on soft white bread (I guess we'll have to leave that part out now) until the bread soaks up all the grease and eat with a smile :P . I once lived in Indiana in 1981, and when I asked the local store where the lebanon boloney was they had never heard of it and thought it might be middle eastern :huh: . No, not that Lebanon! I also miss scrapple - it's available here in NJ, but it all has flour in it. Maybe if I just make some polenta with pork broth and lots of pepper it will seem the same.

Lee

I never liked bread anyway.....

I checked out several brands of lebanon boloney and they said they were gluten-free - sorry I don't have those e-mails anymore to confirm. If it's a new style (like "light" or "low fat") it could be different. When I was a kid I called it "My Favorite Meat" and ate it almost every day. I can still remember the unique taste of a lebanon boloney sandwich that has sat in your school locker all morning. It's hard to find outside of PA. Did you ever try it fried? Cut each piece in half and make a few cuts in the outer edge to keep it flat, then fry it until it shrinks and the fat cooks out. Pile up a huge quantity on soft white bread (I guess we'll have to leave that part out now) until the bread soaks up all the grease and eat with a smile :P . I once lived in Indiana in 1981, and when I asked the local store where the lebanon boloney was they had never heard of it and thought it might be middle eastern :huh: . No, not that Lebanon! I also miss scrapple - it's available here in NJ, but it all has flour in it. Maybe if I just make some polenta with pork broth and lots of pepper it will seem the same.

:D FUNNY!!! VERY COMICAL Yeah scrapple with lots of KING syrup That kicks butt!! Still to this day and me being around 40ish my grandma still wakes me up to the heavenly scent of scrapple cooking in the frying pan. Now that is love :P

It is a new style. I'll have to call to check it out I guess. I'm feeling much better now, but MAN was I sick. lol. So glad my glutenings don't last very long.

~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004