Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

glutenfreegirl

Crave Gluten Terrible....

Hi everyone I hope I am posting this in the right spot if not I am sorry I am very new to this site.

My question to you all is I am craving bread, cookies basicaly anything with gluten terribly is this normal did anyof you go throught this it is almost like a withdrawl.. I do not mean I crav it in I miss it and want it I mean Icrave it like someone craves sugar my body litterly wants it I pace the floors for it kind of craving is this normal did anyone else go through this??

:)

thank you in advance for your help and support

by the way thank you for this forum everyone here is so wonderful I do not post much but I ck in often for answers and ideas and you all are so wonderful thank you

celiac blood test positve 11/10

stool test postive 2009

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I went through withdrawal from gluten shortly after I cut it out my diet. I craved it. I dreamt about it. I got headaches and dizzy spells. It eventually let up. Try not to give in.

Yes, gluten has addictive properties, and you can experience withdrawal symptoms. I don't have a solution, but you are not imagining it.

I was so sick that I was way beyond that. In the final stages of my illness, just before diagnosis, I was eating mostly because I pushed myself to eat, hoping to not throw it back up after a few bites. Okay, maybe that was too much information.

Gluten-free foods high in carbs may help in the short term. Plain rice worked well for me, as did baked potatoes, in my early days.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

YES!!!

All I wanted for 2 whole weeks was French bread with butter.

I got through those weeks exercising, drinking herbal tea (cuts hunger pangs amazingly well), and eating Fritos and Guittard chocolate chips (both available in bulk at your local Costco or Sam's Club).

After 2 weeks, I was suddenly fine, and the cravings never came back, not even when I learned to make really, really good gluten-free bread. I could eat a piece--and feel perfectly satisfied, not having to eat more. That gluten for us really IS addictive.

Stay strong, you're almost there! And remember, it only takes a tiny bit of gluten to get that craving started all over again...

Thank you for the support It is so great to know it is not in my head.

Going throught this you get a lot of people thiking you are being dramatic, ridiculous, annoying there is really not a lot of support my husband and children have been wonderful but my extended family has no interest in either knowing anything about it or supporting me which is fine there loss ( I have since walked away) when they told me I was crazy and this was all in my head that I needed mental help not food help I knew then that was not family but just toxic people that I was blood related too!!! :P

So having you all here is so wonderful I can never say how grgeatful I am for this wonderful place to fall....

Enjoy your day and as I learn more myself just diagnosed 2 days ago I can not wait to be of great support and help others throught their journey...

celiac blood test positve 11/10

stool test postive 2009

Be sure to take a calcium supplement, some magnesium, and a B- complex vitamin daily. That will help immensely with the cravings.

You will need to eat more vegetables, protein and fat than on a normal diet. Eating vegetables really does help, also.