Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

susanm

Celiac As A Young Child - Waiting For Test

Hi, I did take a blood test on Saturday. My doctor ordered the anti-gliadin antibody test, so hopefully I'll know for sure if I have celiac.

I did have celiac as a young child. Does it always go into adulthood or can one grow out of it?

Is there another test (anti-endomysial antibody test) that might be a better marker for celiac?

Susan

Blood test results came back - high antigliadins. Endoscopy - negative for celiac, but showed chronic inflammation.

Had celiac as a child, then "supposedly cured". I didn't do well on an elimination diet when I reintroduced wheat. I have osteopenia - no GI symptoms otherwise.

Addison's disease diagnosed in 2004. I assume I have gluten sensitivity/intolerance, though not as severe as having celiac.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Susan....you NEVER grow out of it. That is a myth and old wives tale and causes A LOT of people years of health problems and even cancer later in life. I wish that myth would die..........

GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!

Unfortunately its a myth a lot of doctors still believe in. It did cause me years of suffering with generally poor health, poor memory and even sometimes seeing people who weren't actually there, eventually kidney inflammation and poor skin and finally joint problems.

Now all that is gone so its definitely worth being off gluten even though its a pain when people invite me out to eat since I usually have problems afterwards even in places that have a so called gluten free menu. I think having had celiac since early infancy and then going back onto gluten at age 4 has just made me that much more sensitive.

I take digestive enzymes which helps alleviate negative symptoms, however eating out still tends to wipe me out the next day: sleepy, foggy brain, congestion, achy body, depression. Though fortunately no longer D if I take the digestive enzymes: Bromelain/papain and pancreatin as well as enterically coated pro-biotics (Now G-8).

What I love however is that overall I feel so much more energy and am more mentally clear and actually healthy most of the time!

Of the test, it should be interesting. However once tested positive for this condition, you certainly don't need to pay for more tests!

Bea

Diagnosed celiac sprue as infant: failure to thrive & pneumonia-back on grains age 4. Began herbs 1971 combating chronic kidney disease/general ill health 1973. Avoid wheat family and "allergens" by 1980. Late 80's doc. diagnosed candida: cave-man diet. Diagnosed degraded myelin sheath 2006; need co-enzyme B vitamins. Discovered celiac fall 2007; finally told diagnosis as infant. Recently found I am salicylic acid intolerant. Ironically can't tolerate most herbs now. Can now eat brown rice & other gluten-free grains (except corn) & even maple syrup & now homeopathic medicine works! Am still exploring the shape of this elephant but I've made progress!