Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gfmolly

Need A Great Gluten Free Low Sugar Dessert For Tomorrow!

I'm hoping that someone can give me a great dessert that celiacs and diabetics can have and enjoy. I'd like to make something for my dad for our cookout tomorrow evening. I'm not much of a baker, but can try!

Thanks! Molly

Diary free 11/06-6/08

Now using a small amount of low-lactose dairy such as aged cheeses and yogurt. Yum!

Gluten-free since 4/07

"When you row another person across the river, you get there yourself."

- Fortune Cookie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Rice Custard Dessert

Ingredients:

* 4 cups milk

* 1/2 cup Splenda

* 1/4 cup rice, uncooked

* zest from one lemon

* 1/4 tsp salt

* 2 eggs, well beaten

* 1/2 cup raisins

* cinnamon, to taste

Preparation:

In a large bowl, combine the milk, Splenda, rice, lemon peel and salt. Stir to dissolve the Splenda.

Pour into a well buttered 2-quart casserole dish. Set the casserole in a shallow baking pan filled with 1 inch hot water. Bake, uncovered, at 325 degrees for 1 hour.

Remove from oven and stir well. Continue baking 45 minutes longer. Remove from oven.

Gradually stir a small amount of hot milk mixture into beaten eggs; stir back into remaining milk mixture in the casserole, blending well. Stir in raisins.

Return to oven and bake 30 minutes longer, or until the custard is set and the rice is cooked. Remove from water bath. Sprinkle with cinnamon and serve warm.

****This looks yummy****

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/desserts/...wberryshort.htm

I would sub using Agave nectar or Splenda for the sweetener.

GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!

How about fruit/yogurt/nut parfaits. Layer yogurt in a clear glass alternating with fresh cut fruit and chopped nuts if desired, put a whole strawberry on top. Check out the dollar store for pretty glasses or use clear plastic cups. Or you can buy clear plastic containers in the canning supplies at Walmart and they have green or pink lids.

Nancy's non-fat Vanilla Yogurt ingredients:

skim milk

nonfat dry milk

organic agave sweetener

natural vanilla flavor

asst. cultures

Would that work for a diabetic?

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

Nancy's non-fat Vanilla Yogurt ingredients:

skim milk

nonfat dry milk

organic agave sweetener

natural vanilla flavor

asst. cultures

Would that work for a diabetic?

Thanks for the suggestions. I've never seen Nancy's yogurt, but I'd love to give it a try! I've been looking for a yogurt that has less sugar in it, just because who needs it!?

Molly

Diary free 11/06-6/08

Now using a small amount of low-lactose dairy such as aged cheeses and yogurt. Yum!

Gluten-free since 4/07

"When you row another person across the river, you get there yourself."

- Fortune Cookie

Thanks for the suggestions. I've never seen Nancy's yogurt, but I'd love to give it a try! I've been looking for a yogurt that has less sugar in it, just because who needs it!?

Molly

Its not sweet like regular vanilla yogurt so be sure to add fruit or agave sweetener. I even mix it with other vanilla yougurt or fruit flavored, it only takes a couple of spoonfuls.

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28