Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wolfie

Kinnikinnick Plain Bagels

I have been eating these bagels for 2+ years. Back in the winter of 2007, they became hard to find. I found out that they were having production issues and opening a new plant. 3-4 months later I found the bagels again and now they taste different and it is not a good different. I know they are the "new" ones b/c there is a sticker over the old nutrition info on the bag. Not only are they higher in calorie, they really don't taste good. Anyone else have this issue? I won't continue to buy these at $5/pack for 4 bagels if this is a permanent thing. I guess I will have to try to make bagels out of the Pamela's bread mix. I have been meaning to do this for a while anyway.

Kim

"Life isn't about how to survive the storm

but how to dance in the rain."

Positive bloodwork 1/9/06

gluten-free since 1/12/06

Very positive dietary response

DS (12 years old)

Biopsy 7/7/06 ~ Diagnosed Celiac 7/12/2006

gluten-free since 7/15/2006

DD (almost 6)

HLA-DQ2 positive

Celiac Bloodwork negative 2 different times

Still eating gluten for now.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I tried those bagels last year before I knew what I was reacting to (tapioca flour/starch) but I did not care for them, the taste.

I made my own bagels last week from the book The Gluten-Free Kitchen by Roben Ryberg. They were easy to make and tasted good/okay. I am hoping they taste even better the next time I make them, thinking about trying a flavor instead of just plain.

Rebecca

Partial Gluten Free March 2007

Completely Gluten Free February 2008

Tapioca Starch/Flour Free April 2008

No MSG July 2008

Cut out Nitrates//Nitrites January 2009

Problems with Tomatoes and Potatoes -- Cut out Nightshades Aug '09

I have been eating these bagels for 2+ years. Back in the winter of 2007, they became hard to find. I found out that they were having production issues and opening a new plant. 3-4 months later I found the bagels again and now they taste different and it is not a good different. I know they are the "new" ones b/c there is a sticker over the old nutrition info on the bag. Not only are they higher in calorie, they really don't taste good. Anyone else have this issue? I won't continue to buy these at $5/pack for 4 bagels if this is a permanent thing. I guess I will have to try to make bagels out of the Pamela's bread mix. I have been meaning to do this for a while anyway.

I never had the old kinnikinnick bagels, but I have had the new ones and Joan's Great Bakes (http://gfgreatbakes.com/) are the most delicious bagels (or any bread product for that matter) gluten-free item I've tried. The nutritionals aren't posted online but they are similar to the Kinnikinnick bagels. I think it's close to 270 cal and 4g fat per good sized bagel.

Gluten-sensitive, SLE, food allergies. gluten and dairy free since July 2008

Their chocolate dipped doughnuts used to be fantastic last year, but I tried them again this spring and they were god awful.

Totally a shame. I definitely had hope for that company, and if you've noticed they actually switched to more expensive packaging and stuff thinking they would make it. But with their product tasting the way it is now, I don't think they'll do so hot.

Their chocolate dipped doughnuts used to be fantastic last year, but I tried them again this spring and they were god awful.

Totally a shame. I definitely had hope for that company, and if you've noticed they actually switched to more expensive packaging and stuff thinking they would make it. But with their product tasting the way it is now, I don't think they'll do so hot.

Thanks for the warnings on the donuts. They are $7+ for a package here.

Kim

"Life isn't about how to survive the storm

but how to dance in the rain."

Positive bloodwork 1/9/06

gluten-free since 1/12/06

Very positive dietary response

DS (12 years old)

Biopsy 7/7/06 ~ Diagnosed Celiac 7/12/2006

gluten-free since 7/15/2006

DD (almost 6)

HLA-DQ2 positive

Celiac Bloodwork negative 2 different times

Still eating gluten for now.

Thanks for the warnings on the donuts. They are $7+ for a package here.

Again I have only tried the donuts recently (not the older recipe) and liked them. Maybe if I tried the older ones I wouldn't by comparison. I agree they are super pricy. My favorite donuts are the maple and the cinnamon sugar.

Gluten-sensitive, SLE, food allergies. gluten and dairy free since July 2008