This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dh On Buttocks?

Mother of Jibril

Mother of Jibril Enthusiast

Since I was a kid, I've had some kind of rash on my buttocks... both sides. I remember my parents telling me "not to scratch" a lot, but the last few years I only notice when I have a blister that pops or it hurts when I'm sitting on a hard chair/bench. Could this be DH? Everything I've been reading says that DH is "intensely itchy"... this rash is just annoying. My parents used to tell me it was "sweat pimples" (??), but I suspect they both have gluten problems and don't really know what's normal. <_<

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ohsotired Enthusiast

I'm still not sure if what I have is DH or not, but I've done a lot of reading about it here, and from what I can tell, there are varying degrees of DH. Some people get the spots/bumps/blisters that don't itch at all. Others are extremely itchy but no spots. Others still have massive rash and extreme itching. I guess it's another one of those things that varies from person to person.

• 2 weeks later...
ang1e0251 Contributor

You know, there must be different kinds of rashes. I had 2 different rashes. You can have it biopsied. There is a certain way to do it. On a previous post they described it. On the home page look for the dermatitis herpetiformis category, it has lots of info & talks about the testing. It also has links to some pictures. That might be helpful.

I have looked at the pictures... the only problem is that I can't really see the rash on my buttocks :lol: I'll read more about the biopsy procedure... I have an appointment with a dermatologist in December. Do you have any idea how long a biopsy might test positive after going gluten-free?

ang1e0251 Contributor

If you go to the dermititis herpitiformis section, there is any article, DH Summary. It does not talk about how being gluten-free can aggect the outcome, but it does say exactly how the biopsy s/b done. I don't think you'd have the rash if your body didn't still have gluten in it. It did take weeks for mine to heal after I went gluten-free.

Anyone else have the answer?

• 2 weeks later...
hawaiimama Apprentice

I have that too. I had hughly positive blood work and minorly positive biopsy but I have the rash. I didn't clue in until after I had the biopsy. I still have it altough its slowly getting better. TMI, but I htought it was from feminine products.

• 2 months later...
clydeshannon5 Rookie

not sure if you got any more info on this or not, i was just going thru some old posts. i have/had patches on my butt. not pleasant, but yes, i believe they can be on your buttocks. all my tests were negative because i was glutenfree and on prednisone. the genetic marker test from the university of chicago celiac center was a HUGE help. checkit out, they will even send you a home kit. it is a saliva swab.

hope that helps.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

not sure if you got any more info on this or not, i was just going thru some old posts. i have/had patches on my butt. not pleasant, but yes, i believe they can be on your buttocks. all my tests were negative because i was glutenfree and on prednisone. the genetic marker test from the university of chicago celiac center was a HUGE help. checkit out, they will even send you a home kit. it is a saliva swab.

hope that helps.

I do have some info... sort of.

I had a biopsy for DH and it came back negative. The dermatologist suggested that my rash was "acute dermatitis," which is caused by inflammation somewhere else in the body (gluten and corn cause inflammation in my body, so I still think this is food related!) Anyway... this week I'm going to get a copy of the report. I want to read it for myself.

I did a genetic test through Enterolab... I have the DQ8 gene. I came to the conclusion that anyone with this gene should either go on a gluten-free diet or commit to regular testing for celiac disease. I already know that the gluten-free (dairy-free, corn-free) diet makes me feel better, so why not stick with it? I haven't felt this good since I was a teenager! I've been really, REALLY strict for a few weeks now and all the itching has gone away.

It's interesting to know that I'm not the only one with a rash on my buttocks :ph34r:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Robert Noah
    Newest Member
    Robert Noah
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• Nacina
      Well, that's a big question. When he was seeing the nutrition response testing dr. that changed each time we went in. He hasn't been seeing him regularly for theist ten months. When he had a horribly week in March I started him back on the 4 that were suggested to keep him on. Those are: Standard Process Chlorophyll Complex gluten-free, SP A-F Betafood gluten-free, SP Tuna Omega-3 Oil gluten-free, And Advanced Amino Formula. He also takes a one a day from a company called Forvia (multivitamin and mineral) and Probiotic . Recently he had to start Vitamin D as well as he was deficient.  
    • Fluka66
      Thank you again for your reply and comments which I have read carefully as I appreciate any input at this stage. I'm tending to listen to what my body wants me to do, having been in agony for many years any respite has been welcome and avoiding all wheat and lactose has thankfully brought this.  When in pain before I was seen by a number of gynacologists as I had 22 fibroids and had an operation 13 years ago to shrink them . However the pain remained and intensified to the point over the years where I began passing out. I was in and out of a&e during covid when waiting rooms where empty. My present diet is the only thing that's given me any hope for the future. As I say I had never heard of celiac disease before starting so I guess had this not come up in a conversation I would just have carried on. It was the swollen lymph node that sent me to a boots pharmacist who immediately sent me to a&e where a Dr asked questions prescribed antibiotics and then back to my GP. I'm now waiting for my hospital appointment . Hope this answers your question. I found out more about the disease because I googled something I wouldn't normally do, it did shed light on the disease but I also read some things that this disease can do. On good days I actually hope I haven't got this but on further investigation my mother's side of the family all Celtic have had various problems 're stomach pain my poor grandmother cried in pain as did her sister whilst two of her brother's survived WW2 but died from ulcers put down to stress of fighting.  Wishing you well with your recovery.  Many thanks  
    • knitty kitty
      Welcome to the forum, @Nacina, What supplements is your son taking?
    • knitty kitty
      @BluegrassCeliac, I'm agreeing.  It's a good thing taking magnesium. And B vitamins. Magnesium and Thiamine work together.  If you supplement the B vitamins which include Thiamine, but don't have sufficient magnesium, Thiamine won't work well.  If you take Magnesium, but not Thiamine, magnesium won't work as well by itself. Hydrochlorothiazide HCTZ is a sulfonamide drug, a sulfa drug.  So are proton pump inhibitors PPIs, and SSRIs. High dose Thiamine is used to resolve cytokine storms.  High dose Thiamine was used in patients having cytokine storms in Covid infections.  Magnesium supplementation also improves cytokine storms, and was also used during Covid. How's your Vitamin D? References: Thiamine and magnesium deficiencies: keys to disease https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25542071/ Hiding in Plain Sight: Modern Thiamine Deficiency https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8533683/ The Effect of a High-Dose Vitamin B Multivitamin Supplement on the Relationship between Brain Metabolism and Blood Biomarkers of Oxidative Stress: A Randomized Control Trial https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6316433/ High‐dose Vitamin B6 supplementation reduces anxiety and strengthens visual surround suppression https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9787829/ Repurposing Treatment of Wernicke-Korsakoff Syndrome for Th-17 Cell Immune Storm Syndrome and Neurological Symptoms in COVID-19: Thiamine Efficacy and Safety, In-Vitro Evidence and Pharmacokinetic Profile https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33737877/ Higher Intake of Dietary Magnesium Is Inversely Associated With COVID-19 Severity and Symptoms in Hospitalized Patients: A Cross-Sectional Study https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9132593/ Magnesium and Vitamin D Deficiency as a Potential Cause of Immune Dysfunction, Cytokine Storm and Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation in covid-19 patients https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7861592/ Sulfonamide Hypersensitivity https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31495421/
    • BluegrassCeliac
      Hi,   Not saying Thiamine (B1) couldn't be an issue as well, but Mg was definitely the cause of my problems. It's the only thing that worked. I supplemented with B vitamins, but that didn't change anything, in fact they made me sick. Mg stopped all my muscle pain (HCTZ) within a few months and fixed all the intestinal problems HCTZ caused as well. Mom has an allergy to some sulfa drugs (IgG Celiac too), but I don't think I've ever taken them. Mg boosted my energy as well. It solved a lot of problems. I take 1000mg MgO a day with no problems. I boost absorption with Vitamin D. Some people can't take MgO,  like mom, she takes Mg Glycinate. It's one of those things that someone has try and find the right form for themselves. Everyone's different. Mg deficiency can cause anxiety and is a treatment for it. A pharmacist gave me a list of drugs years ago that cause Mg deficiency: PPIs, H2 bockers, HCTZ, some beta blockers (metoprolol which I've taken -- horrible side effects), some anti-anxiety meds too were on it. I posted because I saw he was an IgG celiac. He's the first one I've seen in 20 years, other than my family. We're rare. All the celiacs I've met are IgA. Finding healthcare is a nightmare. Just trying to help. B