Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

veasue

Sprue And Diabetes

:unsure: I have been diagnosed with Diabetes II and Sprue - my problem is diet. Blood sugar levels keep rising since having to follow Gluten free diet. Does ANYONE have any help or suggestions. I continue to get very sick from time to time no matter how careful I am. Sugar levels keep rising and am now on two glucose pills. Thanks. Sue

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hello, Veasue. I am sorry to hear about your recent struggles. It's bad enough to be hit with one condition, isn't it, let alone two of them like that.

I am not a doctor, Veasue, so you must never begin or end any treatments without first discussing them with your own, personal physician.

I would suggest that you first rule out the presence of Ketones in the urine. 99% chance that this is not a concern for you, but just to be safe it may not hurt to take a look at that. You can purchase Keto urine test strips at any pharmacy otc.

If you're taking Metformin, I would do everything in my power if I were you to get off of that one. It is a terrible medication, one that has no place in today's medicine with the other options available.

My mom has gone through basically the exact same thing that you have. She, like you, had been struggling with her glucose control until we went about some aggressive otc therapies, which did the trick. She now no longer requires any oral meds, and her last A1C has dropped to under 6%, so we're doing pretty good w/ her.

If you are on Metformin, I would try to get onto another one, if your condition is the least bit like her own. The initial success was found by switching from Metformin to a drug called Amayrl, a much safer medication.

Read up on the benefits of herbal Cinnamin, Alpha Lipoic Acid, and Chromium (30 days max) too, but discuss those options with your doctor before you would ever begin taking any otc product. I am a type 1 Diabetic myself and I have long made the association between Alpha Lipoic Acid and that of a 15 unit per day reduction in my insulin requirements. Cinamin reduces the requirement by an additional 5 units per day. Chromium has never done much of anything for me.

Good luck now. Keep us updated on how you're doing.