• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Guest gfinnebraska

Scd Support Group

Rate this topic

Guest gfinnebraska

Hi Cornbread ~ when I read the book I had the same reaction as you. I don't have D... what is it talking about??!! BUT, after starting the diet for a few days... I got D! And lots of it!! I think it is the bodys way of "cleaning out". After the D went away, I started adding the foods that the book allows, and I have never felt better. I have always had the constipation problem as well. Not now. No one on here can say definitely YES start the diet... it is hard and must be something you really want to do. Good luck!! :)

P.S. You may want to start after Thanksgiving!! :)

Hi Cornbread ~ when I read the book I had the same reaction as you.  I don't have D... what is it talking about??!!  BUT, after starting the diet for a few days... I got D!  And lots of it!!  I think it is the bodys way of "cleaning out".  After the D went away, I started adding the foods that the book allows, and I have never felt better.  I have always had the constipation problem as well.  Not now.  No one on here can say definitely YES start the diet... it is hard and must be something you really want to do.  Good luck!!  :) 

P.S. You may want to start after Thanksgiving!!  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Kimberley - that's reassuring! To be honest, I am 99% grain free already, because rice, corn (well, ALL grains) cause me to be really bloated. The only big difference between the SCD and my diet right now is that I don't do any dairy, and the fruit and veg I eat is either raw (fruit) or steamed (veg). The big difference would be cooking the fruit etc., but I can see how that would help the stomach heal, ie: less work digesting.

How long did your SCD-induced D last?

Guest gfinnebraska

Yes, it was around a week ~ more or less. Now, when I go off the SCD and then back on, I experience the D again. Not for long though. Just a day or two. I am going in for surgery on Dec. 27th, so I am trying to get as healthy as possible before then. :) Strictly SCD ~ then maybe I can baby myself with a gluten-free doughnut after surgery!! :)

good luck with your surgery...hope its nothing to serious!

Hi all!

I have just found this site and have been on scd for almost three months now. I thought it would be great to chat with some who are doing the diet as well. I am currently living in London, but make a move to the states next week! After months of gluten free dieting, and still having major symptoms, I found the SCD and this has been the only thing in my life that I have seen improvement on. Although I am not one hundred percent, I can actually have 'normal' days sometimes and it is such a relief. I still have bad bloating, trying to figure out why each week but have decided to stick with it since it is the only thing that has seemed to work.

Also, I am casein intolerant too and wondering if anyone knew of a probiotic that worked that is casein free...obviously I can't do yogurt and cheese on the diet which is a bummer!!! And I really think it is important to feed the gut with good bacteria.

It has been a rollercoaster of a year, to say the least, but it's great to finally see some light at the end of the tunnel. I also have microscopic colitis which is maybe why it is taking me longer to 'heal'. I still don't have normal bowel movements...but considering I was having 20 a day at one point, down to two is a remarkable difference!!! Wondering if anyone else has experienced the same?

Cheers!

KC

Hello! I am new to the boards. I recently started following the scd. I am okay with finding food to eat, but I am confused when it comes to supplements. Would the following fish oil supplement be okay:

Anchovies, mackerel, sardines, non-genetically engineered Vitamin E (to preserve freshness), softgels (gelatin, water, glycerin)

I wasn't sure about glycerin. Gelatin is okay, right? Another question I have is regarding ibuprofen. Is there a brand that is safe to use? Thank you for any help.

Guest gfinnebraska

Welcome! Yes, gelatin is fine. The book suggests gelatin made with juice as a treat/snack. I make them into "jigglers". So, I am sure you can eat gelatin in vitamin form as well.

The motrin should be fine too ~ I believe the book said to use if necessary, but go without if possible. I need to read my book again ~ I haven't read it since March! :o

Thank you for the reply. That is good to hear. I might try the jigglers, too. I have the breaking the vicious cycle book, but don't remember seeing about motrin. I'll have to look for that, thanks!

What specifically is the SCD Diet?

SCD is specific carbohydrate diet

You can get all the information at the link below:

http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info

I have been following it for a week now, and feel much better already. My swelling has gone down, and I just feel better. :) Let me know what you think!

I have been on scd 2 years and I feel wonderful. gluten-free didnt do a thing for me except to get my candida and pain worse. It is very easy to be on this way of eating and heal my gut. Tried great recipes and can live this way forever. No turning back.

www.austinscdfriends.com

This is a wonderful site with much information .

I probablly have all the same books you have, am looking for a good ginger cookie.

I just made the waldorf salad int he bTVC book and added chicken and instead of mayo I used yogurt and honey. mmm good!

I also bought myself a cusinart ice cream maker. I have made many sorbet. I like honey grapefruit and lemon sorbet. My granchildren love my frozen yogurt and they even help to make it.

I also like the many recipes, like a green bean salad and many other dishes. I made fried chicken the other night with grated parmasan cheese and almond flour.... mmmm good!

It is such a joy to cook now and eat!

I never had (D) but I had major throwing up that was the problem was the digestive track.

I had major © :huh: but being on scd for 2 years I am doing much,much better. I never really did well on eating gluten-free products.

Been doing so much better on scd that it is actually fun to cook and I look forward to trying new recipes. Somebody gave me a german chocolate cake recipe all legal on scd which I have not tried yet,but soon will.

I love to make my own ice cream and frozen yogurt and sorbet. It also so much fun and eat and not get ill after eating. :)

Not really worth it to eat the illegals. The scd is very fullfilling. Never once have I ever wanted anymore. Dont eat the illegals and you will gain much more in better health :lol:

My question is does this way of eating scd help with osteoporis?

I take digestive enzymes, legal supplements :rolleyes: along with eating scd. Can I turn this around?

Any more suggestions to help myself. :D