This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac's And Vitamins

vallojo

vallojo Rookie

I have questions and hope someone out there can help. I have been a Celiac for 13 years. I noticed that since being Gluten Free I dont get sick anymore. Sick sick not celiac sick. I dont get the Flu anymore. However everytime I try to start a vitamin rutine I get the Flu.

Let me offer up some more detail. I have tendonitus in my left wrist. My doctor advised me it was not getting better due to a lack of vitamin D in my system. He told me to take 2000 mg of D. I started on Tuesday and on Friday was was sick full blown Flu. Some of you out there may say coinsidence well know this. Two years ago I quit smoking I decided to "get healthy" I wanted to start taking a one a day vitamin so I checked for Gluten free vitamins and a week later full blown Flu.

If anyone out there can help me wrap my head around this it would be really great.

Jon

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mommida Enthusiast

Hi,

I can not tolerate most "one a day" vitamin supplements. (Even ones that are determined to be gluten free) I have narrowed it down to the iron. They do make me vomit and feel quite ill. At first the time between taking the supplement (and vommitting) was longer but after some time when I figured out the vitamins made me sick it was 15 minutes after taking the supplement.

cat3883 Explorer

What do you mean by the flu? Like a stomach virus or the actual influenza that doesnt include stomach problems or diarhea? If you mean the stomach thing then have you tried eating when you take them. Or maybe change to a different time of day.

vallojo Rookie
What do you mean by the flu? Like a stomach virus or the actual influenza that doesnt include stomach problems or diarhea? If you mean the stomach thing then have you tried eating when you take them. Or maybe change to a different time of day.

I got a fever, sinus congestion, body aches, and sore scratchy throat.

Klauren Apprentice

Sorry you are having those problems! Since you are not having digestive symptoms, it does sound strange! I am a total rookie, just diagnosed a week ago, but no harm in offering an idea. I have been taking gluten-free gummy vitamins that I bought for my kids. They taste okay, are soft going down (which has been important for me because I have major belly pain) and since you have to take several to get a full dose, you could start with just one and see whether it has any adverse effect before going to the full dosage. Maybe the very gentle version would agree with you better.

Good Luck!

chasbari Apprentice

Have you been checked for autoimmune disorders? I know I came to this whole world by first having been dx'd for rheumatoid arthritis, sjogren's syndrome (which causes me problems with respiratory lubrication, dry eyes and breathing problems when it's real bad,) and high but questionable lupus numbers. These are all unusual for men in the general population but much more likely in the celiac community from my understand and yet, no one put it together for years. Anyway, the worse my celiac was becoming which eventually led to a diagnosis, the more my RA and Sjogren's would flare and many of the symptoms were similar to what you are experiencing from your last description including low grade fevers and ,for me, rashes. Granted, I would rather someone have the flu than these but I would hit the wall and end up so flu like before we finally realized the RA, but, ultimately it seems like the RA is a manifestation of the severe malnutrition I have been suffering. As the diet gets under control and I am starting to heal, my RA and Sjogren's symptoms have diminished almost unbelievably and yet my rheumatologist doesn't feel they are linked...after all how can a mere diet change what the drugs they wanted to give couldn't.. all they would do was cause me to lose my hearing and voice... not a good option for a singer.

I am having my blood panels and bone density done in the next few days so I am probably speaking out of turn but I am seeking to get all my vitamins and nutrients by eating all the fresh fruits and veggies my body can handle. I am still losing weight and know I have a long way to go to heal but I have found myself wondering about the jump to supplements that I see happening too frequently as it seems like shortcuts and quick fixes and substitutes have crept into the psyche and the typical American diet. The solution, IMHO, seems to be to let the body find its natural response. Not that I would want to live in a world without the option for strong and necessary drugs in the right emergency situations but almost every encounter I have had with medicinal or supplemental intervention seemed aimed at masking and ameliorating the end symptom instead of the underlying cause thus delaying the diagnosis of something I have been struggling with in some way shape or form since at least before high school and that was over 30 years ago.

Good luck and I hope you feel better.

CS

*lee-lee* Enthusiast

i always refused to take vitamins when i was younger because i would always, without fail, get sick within a few days. cold and flu like symptoms. i just decided last month to try taking a multi-vitamin and see what happens. so far, i've been totally fine. i can't explain why 15-20 years ago i would get sick but now i'm fine but i just figured i'd share my experience!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

julirama723 Contributor

Slight thread jack...

mommida--if you are interested in taking a multivitamin, but are reacting to the iron, look for a 50+ multivitamin, regardless of your age. Vitamins like centrum silver or any others intended for the over-50 crowd do not contain iron.

ksymonds84 Enthusiast

I almost started a topic similar to this one. I can't take vitamins either but for me it is all gastro symptoms not fever etc. 2000mg is a lot of vitamin D but you can get most of it from drinking 2 glasses of calcium fortified orange juice (minute maid), 2 glasses of milk (if you can do dairy) and spending 20 minutes in the direct sun with no sun protection on. This would have to be done daily; however you can build up levels of vitamin D through the sun exposure its the best source and you appear dark complected so 20 minutes of non protective sun shouldn't hurt you. Sitting in a window will not work as well since they have uv protection.

As far as to why you have the flu with vitamins, I can't answer because I don't know why they bother me either. I am suspecting the food dye in the calcium I just got at Sam's. Gave me horrible D (and thats why I take calcium carbonate to control the D!) They are bright pink where the brand I bought before were white. I've never found a mulit that I can tolerate :(

FranDaMan Apprentice

I assume since you're from RahChaCha that you know of or are involved with these fine folks: Open Original Shared Link I'm new to all of this but they have been very helpful and I'm sure if you asked them they may have information that could help.

Besides, the gluten-free goodies after the meeting are worth the price of admission! ;)

Archived