This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Communion

TearzaRose

TearzaRose Explorer

I've only been gluten free for 8 days now, and thought I was well prepared due to my innate nature to research and plan.

Well, I cam across a situation today which I completely overlooked..

We had communion this morning in church-and I couldn't eat the cracker! :(

I got so sad I nearly cried.

Anyway, guess I'll have to start bring a rice cake from now on! :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

missy'smom Collaborator

There are a few gluten-free hosts available. EnerG makes one. The church I attend church is very small and flexible so in the past I made a loaf of gluten-free bread and brought that to use. So it was gluten-free communion for everyone. Today we are using the plain Glutino crackers, broken, for everyone.

TearzaRose Explorer
There are a few gluten-free hosts available. EnerG makes one. The church I attend church is very small and flexible so in the past I made a loaf of gluten-free bread and brought that to use. So it was gluten-free communion for everyone. Today we are using the plain Glutino crackers, broken, for everyone.

Yeah, my church is very flexible as well. It's not the "bread" that matters so much as what it represents. God knows my heart and wouldn't care if it was a tomato as long as I was sincere in my repentance and remembrance of Him and what He did for me.

It's just something I failed to anticipate! ;)

missy'smom Collaborator

I completely understand. We all have moments like that. I found out last night that we are having communion today so I talked with the pastor last night about switching the grape juice for wine since I can't have the juice and I'm very blessed that that was no problem for them so both will be served and I can take the wine. :D On one hand it's not a big deal, I've gone without, but it's really nice to be able to feel comfortable participating like everyone else.

purple Community Regular
Yeah, my church is very flexible as well. It's not the "bread" that matters so much as what it represents. God knows my heart and wouldn't care if it was a tomato as long as I was sincere in my repentance and remembrance of Him and what He did for me.

It's just something I failed to anticipate! ;)

Great answer! Last Sunday, my 17 yr old dd was at the youth evening service that she drives an hour just to get there (about 500 young adults attend) and they were having communion, the loaf kind. She is not totally gluten-free but seems to be allergic to wheat somewhat, so far-itchy head and a rash that doesn't itch. Anyway, she went to the front to tear off a piece of bread and dip it in the juice. Her bread broke and some fell in the juice. She didn't know if she should leave it-yuck, or fish it out-worse yuck. So she left it. She was embarassed. ;)

Like you said, God knows your/our heart and your sincerity. His mercy is new every morning and he is full of compassion for us. God knows you can't have gluten.

Don't feel bad if you choose not to partake of the bread, you do it in spirit and in truth. Those that worship him must worship in spirit and in truth- John 4:24

• 3 weeks later...
quietmorning01 Explorer
I've only been gluten free for 8 days now, and thought I was well prepared due to my innate nature to research and plan.

Well, I cam across a situation today which I completely overlooked..

We had communion this morning in church-and I couldn't eat the cracker! :(

I got so sad I nearly cried.

Anyway, guess I'll have to start bring a rice cake from now on! :D

Hi, TearzaRose, I'm just a few days diagnosed, and wow. . . I belong to an orthodox Christian faith tradition where communion is very formal and there are a LOT of people who take communion. I did a search, and found your post - thank you for posting!! (You get my first post!!) I suppose I'll call my pastor and ask him how he would like to handle it - I want to be open, but I want to be safe too. . . I've been so incredibly sick with this thing. It would be incredibly difficult for me to not be able to participate. I'm going to watch your responses, if you don't mind 'd like to see how someone might have handled this in a large and orthodox traditions.

:)

QuietMorning

Archived