Roda

Gluten Free Oats

Rate this topic

I was wondering if anyone has problems with some brands of gluten free oats but can tolerate other brands. I am leaning on the fact that I probably can't tolerate oats and that sucks! I know some celiacs can't tolerate them, but also alot do. I figured I would be one who could. Just goes to show you never know. Would trying a different brand make any difference?

I decided to try oats for the first time in 7 1/2 months. I have been feeling great and my ttg was negative two months ago. I bought Bobs Red Mills certified gluten free oats. I made apple spice cookies. I have to admit I was a glutten and ate about 7 cookies. They tasteted soooo good. About a half and hour or so later I felt like my stomach was full. Then I started belching all evening long. I didn't have the burning sensation just sour when I would burp. My intestines were rumbling also. I took a couple of tums and went to bed. I used to eat oats before gluten free and seemed fine with them. I ate them occasionally and never had any problem with the fiber. To me this seems a little more than not being used to the fiber. For example if I eat black beans they cause me to get bloated and gassy and I know the brand is gluten free. It is just me not used to that amout of fiber in the beans. I don't get heartburn or burp with them either. There was alot of cinnamon in the recipe and it is large quanties can give me heartburn. However, I find it a little suspicious that I felt fine all day and after eating the cookies I had this problem. I don't feel too bad this morning just a little burping and rumbling in my tummy. I am probably going to try just eating a bowl of the oatmeal in another couple of days to see if the same thing happens and then I'll know for sure. Thanks

I have only tried the Bob's Red Mill Oats as you did, and I wasn't impressed, to tell you the truth. Although I can't say that I noticed any adverse reactions, I will say that I did not like the taste of the oats. Admittedly, I haven't had oats since my diagnosis, which was over ten years ago, but I don't remember oats tasting like Bob's Oats. They had a funny taste that I cannot put my finger on........the best way I can describe it, is that they taste very "earthy" at not much like oats.

I might have simply gotten a bad batch, but the taste alone, made me think that I'm not THAT desperate to have oatmeal in the morning!

Oh, man, I tried regular Quaker Oatmeal a while ago and did I ever get sick. I like the BRM oats okay, but they take a long time to cook. I decided maybe just to be oat free to be safe. I am gluten intolerant and can get away with some French fries that have been cooked with other things and low risk stuff like that if I don't do it often, so was surprised at the reaction to the oatmeal. I get neurological problems as a reaction to the oats.

However, if you like cream of wheat, then try cream of buckwheat, it is wonderful in the winter. Buckwheat is actually a berry, so no problem for us that eat gluten-free.

I was wondering if anyone has problems with some brands of gluten free oats but can tolerate other brands. I am leaning on the fact that I probably can't tolerate oats and that sucks! I know some celiacs can't tolerate them, but also alot do. I figured I would be one who could. Just goes to show you never know. Would trying a different brand make any difference?

I decided to try oats for the first time in 7 1/2 months. I have been feeling great and my ttg was negative two months ago. I bought Bobs Red Mills certified gluten free oats. I made apple spice cookies. I have to admit I was a glutten and ate about 7 cookies. They tasteted soooo good. About a half and hour or so later I felt like my stomach was full. Then I started belching all evening long. I didn't have the burning sensation just sour when I would burp. My intestines were rumbling also. I took a couple of tums and went to bed. I used to eat oats before gluten free and seemed fine with them. I ate them occasionally and never had any problem with the fiber. To me this seems a little more than not being used to the fiber. For example if I eat black beans they cause me to get bloated and gassy and I know the brand is gluten free. It is just me not used to that amout of fiber in the beans. I don't get heartburn or burp with them either. There was alot of cinnamon in the recipe and it is large quanties can give me heartburn. However, I find it a little suspicious that I felt fine all day and after eating the cookies I had this problem. I don't feel too bad this morning just a little burping and rumbling in my tummy. I am probably going to try just eating a bowl of the oatmeal in another couple of days to see if the same thing happens and then I'll know for sure. Thanks

I get the same reaction when I eat those oats...I tried the Rolled oats and the Steel cut oats...Same reaction to both...I never used to have a problem (pre - celiac) with oats (Quaker)...I keep tryin to eat the Red Mill because I like them...but I just cant stand the misery they bring to my gut..

I have decided I am going to continue to be oat free. I had another reaction to them. I was really hoping I could eat them. Oh well! :(