2ofus2kids2dogs

Sandwiches On The George Foreman Grill

Rate this topic

I recently bought a George Foreman counter top grill. After a recent trip to Whole Foods (one just opened in my area) I purchased a loaf of their sandwich bread (gluten free). Tonight I thawed 2, slices, spread real butter, added a slice of american cheese and several slices of thinly sliced smoked ham (gluten free). Just a regular grilled ham and cheese - and it was AMAZING!!! The George Foreman presses it down and cooks from top and bottom (and makes the indentions) so it almost looked like a fancy panini. It was very, very good. And I am very, very picky. :D Oh - I also used this sandwich bread to make french toast.

I also bought a package of the brown rice gluten free tortillas. I used one of those the other day to make a "wrap". I did ham, provolone and honey mustard). Wrapped it up and threw it on the George Foreman. It was very good. It only takes about 3 minutes to do a sandwich.

I also purchased at Whole Foods the cinnamon raisin bread, which I like just toasted with butter and a little bit of cinnamon sugar. I bought the "cream biscuits" which are very good and to me, taste a lot like Hardee's biscuits. (I live in Virginia and Hardee's is a fast food chain known for their homemade biscuits). I also bought a small peach pie and found it to be better than expected.

All of these items I have referred to are the Whole Foods Bakery items. They are in the frozen foods section at the Whole Foods store I visited.

I feel like I'm eating "regular" food when I eat this stuff. I have been gluten free for almost 3 years and while I have found a way to replace almost all my favorites foods - I have been very disappointed in anything resembling "bread." The biscuits are by far my favorite - but the thought of having something as simple as a grilled cheese sandwich - that tastes good - just makes me so happy!

Anyone have other recommendations.

Good for you! Doesn't it feel good to get something you crave? I recommend the Prarie Bread if you like seeds and nuts. I was in our Whole Foods tonight and was disappointed that they don't yet carry the gluten-free ice cream sandwiches I read about here. Maybe next time!

the george forman grill has gotten me through many a rough day!!! i love whole foods too. thanks for the ideas!

If you see the cheddar biscuits, ooh baby go for those. They're cheesy tasting with a tiny bit of cayenne kick. Totally skip the hamburger buns, they're terrible. Cornbread's just ok, much cheaper and tastier to make a Bob's mix for that. Pie crust is all right, kinda mealy and bland, again a homemade crust, maybe of crushed cookies, is always better. Pizza crust is thick and heavy, and tasty, but if you like thin crust pizza this isn't for you. And watch out cuz it's made with bean flour, can be a bit gas inducing.