CMG

Low White Blood Count?

Rate this topic

Just curious, but has anyone had a low white blood count, particularly the EOS component, prior to diagnosis? I have had a low white count for as long as I can remember. I do not have an official celiac diagnosis because I went gluten free prior to testing. But, my current doctor says the consistently low white count is consistent with an autoimmune disorder and wants to repeat the test after 6 months gluten free to see if I get back into the normal range.

Yes, I had a low white cell count all my life. 35 years later I was diagnosed and 4 years after going gluten free my white count is in the normal range. I believe others on this board have had similar stories.

lisa

Just curious, but has anyone had a low white blood count, particularly the EOS component, prior to diagnosis? I have had a low white count for as long as I can remember. I do not have an official celiac diagnosis because I went gluten free prior to testing. But, my current doctor says the consistently low white count is consistent with an autoimmune disorder and wants to repeat the test after 6 months gluten free to see if I get back into the normal range.

I have had a low white count for probably 20 years. I work for a hematologist and she always called it cyclical neutropenia. It went up and down, between 2.9 & 4.5. Now that I found out that I have celiac (positive blood test & having endoscopy on 7/29) it makes sense. I want to talk to the doctor about it. She never even linked it, though.