Gee1218

Two Blood Tests Were Positive

Rate this topic

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this so I would be so appreciative of any help any of you can give me. My issue began in February 09. I started getting mild indigestion and was burping a lot after meals which is very rare for me. I took some tums and shrugged it off. This eventually starting turning to stomach pain, almost as if I did 1000 sit-ups or something. I decided to go see a GI Dr. He sent me for an abdominal ultrasound - which was clear and scheduled me for an upper endescopy. My upper endescopy showed "mild inflammation and gastritis" very generic diagnosis. He prescribed Nexium and sent me on my way. I found that the Nexium just gave me stomach pains so he switched me to another brand, which did the same thing. I tend to read a lot of the internet and sometimes that can be a bad thing. I was convinced that there was something wrong with my pancreas, such as pancreatic cancer. I seemed to have all the symptoms, except weight loss. Stomach pain, back pain...I convinced my Dr to send me for an abdominal CAT scan with contrast, which is supposed to be the best diagnostic test for the pancreas. After fighting tooth and nail with my Insurance company, I finally went and had it done back in March. Thankfully, that was clear. I continued on my PPI medicine with the same symptoms. I tried to avoid spicy foods, coffee, per the Dr's suggestion.

In April, I was awoken with severe lower abdominal cramping. My husband took me to the ER and they performed another CAT scan with contrast and abdominal and pelvic ultrasound. All was normal again. They sent me home with Tylenol with Codien and some anit-biotics because my urinalysis showed a mild urinary infection. I continued to have lower abdominal pains on and off for a few weeks. Luckily those pains went away.

I decided that I wasn't getting the answers I wanted so I decided to switch to another GI Dr who was recommended by a friend. I'm glad I made the switch, he is such a great person. He took the time to listen to all my symptoms and told me that he noticed that a wheat gluten/Celiac blood test was never done by my prior Dr so he decided that he wanted to do that. Well, those test results came back positive. He told me that he wanted to do another uppder endescopy which would be more a more conclusive diagnosis for Celiac. I had that done on 7/13/09. I decided to have a colonoscopy while I was under the anethesia just to be on the safe side. When I awoke from the anethesia, he said that my colon looked great and that it "didn't look like" I had Celiac but he had to wait for the biopsy results to come in. I'm still waiting for those results. I should have them back on Monday, 7/27. I decided to go to my Primary Care Dr and have her do antoher blood test, which was done on 7/16, I got the results yesterday and it was positve for Celiac. I have posted my results below:

Deamidated Gliadin Abs, IgA - 23.4

t-Transgluataminase (tTG) IgA - 13 - normal is 0-3

IgG - 19 - Normal is 0-5

As you can see, these results are off the chart. I decided to start a gluten free diet as of last night, after I received my results. I also went to Whole Foods today and bought a bunch of stuff. My question is, how long will it take for all this back pain to go away? I feel like my whole back, especially the upper portion is black and blue and so sore. I also have rib pain and my stomach still hurts. It almost feels like there is all gas trapped in my back and ribs. Any help from any of you would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. Sorry to ramble

Welcome.

I am unfamiliar with the scale used for your tTg, but it sure seems obviously positive and this is a very reliable test for gluten intolerance. Others will post. If you are going to have a biopsy you need to continue to eat gluten for accurate results. If you are not and are going gluten free you need to keep reading here as this forum will provide a wealth of advice. It's going to take awhile to figure it all out and feel better as you'll see by reading other's posts, but thank goodness if you've found the culprit. Life WILL get better, but it takes time.

Take care,

lisa

Welcome.

I am unfamiliar with the scale used for your tTg, but it sure seems obviously positive and this is a very reliable test for gluten intolerance. Others will post. If you are going to have a biopsy you need to continue to eat gluten for accurate results. If you are not and are going gluten free you need to keep reading here as this forum will provide a wealth of advice. It's going to take awhile to figure it all out and feel better as you'll see by reading other's posts, but thank goodness if you've found the culprit. Life WILL get better, but it takes time.

Take care,

lisa

Hi Lisa,

I called my Dr yesterday and I was told from the nurse that my biopsies taken show no evidence of Celiac/Sprue. I'm confused because I had two blood tests that came back positive. I'm going to my GI Dr today to discuss the results with him. I've been following a gluten free diet since Monday and I stil don't feel that great. My main issue is bad pains in my spine and ribs.

Your blood tested twice positive for antibodies so I would say you do have celiac disease. The endoscopy can be a false negative. To start on the gluten-free diet, start with simple whole foods you prepare yourself. I would stay away from processed foods for awhile until you are adjusted. If you eat this way for about a month then you can add new foods in one at a time a few days apart. This way if you're going to react to one of those foods, you'll know right away.

You may want to avoid dairy also in the beginning. It will probably help all your bloating and pain clear up. You may be able to add it back in after you've healed some. Take it easy on your system with simple foods and spices for a bit. You'll start feeling better before you know it.