Larapiz

Colonoscopy

Rate this topic

I eat an exotic foods diet because I have so many food sensitivities. I need to get a colonoscopy, but how can I do the colon prep without eating something I might get sick from? Has anybody been through this?

Laura

I eat an exotic foods diet because I have so many food sensitivities. I need to get a colonoscopy, but how can I do the colon prep without eating something I might get sick from? Has anybody been through this?

Laura

They don't let you eat anything before a colonoscopy!!! You can make your own clear broth ahead of time, if you need to. Can you drink white grape juice, honey-sweetened mint tea or homemade lemonade? I was told to drink Gatorade, and would NOT touch the stuff again.

Your doc's office should tell you way ahead of time what kind of laxatives they want you to use, so you will have time to check ingredients and switch, if need be.

Yes, there's not very much you CAN eat in preparation. Broth/bouillion, jello (certain colors only) and clear juices and teas. That's about it.

Laura

Hi Laura,

I'm glad you asked this because I'm having the same problem. I'm having one in August and i have many food sensitivities/intolerances also. The last time i tried chicken broth and jello they bothered me. :( I may try them again before the procedure to see if they still bother me. I'm going to check with my Dr. also and see what she recommends and see what prep she recommends also. I have a juicer so i'm going to see if there's anything i can juice. Luckily mine is scheduled for a Monday where i'll be at home on Sunday for the clear liquid diet....heck, it may be just water for me all day Sunday. That'll be tough.