Sulevismom

What's Really Going On In There?

Rate this topic

HI!

Whenever I get glutened I wonder about what is really going on. How is it that damage to my intestines results in:

bloating,

cramps,

joint pain,

anxiety,

fatigue,

depression,

head fog?

So, what causes the bloating: is it some kind of chemical reaction which causes gas? If so, what kind of chemical reaction? My glutening gas has a particular odour. Why? How much of the bloating is due to constipation? What causes that? Why does the digestive system shut down as it does for me or cause diarrhea as it does for others?

What causes the painful cramping? Do we have nerve cells on the inside of our intestines?

What about joint pain: does that have to do with nutrient deficiencies or does it have more to do with the autoimmune response in the body?

And how about the anxiety? How does a glutening affect the brain? Is it again the autoimmune response, or what?

The fatigue?! That's the big one for me, as a mom to a toddler needs her energy! Why so tired? What's happening throughout the body that makes it such an effort to lift a finger?

Depression: why do the eyes feel like crying, as if I'm cutting onions. And my heart so devastated?

Finally, the head fog. Is it that the neurons aren't firing as quickly? If so, why?

I appreciate any response I get to any of these questions, no matter how scientifically full of jargon. I know to expect that it's probably the case that the scientific/medical community doesn't yet have answers to all these questions, but if anyone knows more information, or has theories, that would be great!

Lots of great questions...the trouble is, so little is known for sure at this time. Regarding the depression link, check out this article (http://www.celiac.com/articles/21547/1/The-Celiac-Disease---Depression-Connection/Page1.html - I tried to hyperlink it, but it wouldn't work!), which describes a study where the results demonstrated that "intestinal mucosal dysfunction marked by...leaky gut (a very common occurrence with celiac disease)...plays a role in the inflammatory pathophysiology of depression." Also, this article (http://www.celiac.com/articles/21758/1/Gluten-Sensitivity-and-Depression/Page1.html) might be interesting - it describes how, after the digestive track, the nervous system is the next in line as the most affected by gluten. This may explain symptoms of depression, anxiety, and fatigue. The article discusses how blood flow to the brain can also be effected, which may explain brain fog.

I would also recommend the book "Gut and Psychology Syndrome" by Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride. It clearly makes the link between a disrupt in the gut flora (which is common in people with celiac disease), brain functioning, and each of the symptoms you listed. Dr. Campbell-McBride is a proponent of the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, as discussed in the book "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" by Elaine Gottschall...another good read.

I have experienced the same symptoms as you, most of which went away with the gluten-free diet. However, 5 years into it, some of the symptoms came back. It was then that I learned about candida and gut health in general. When I started paying attention to and treating these things, my symptoms went away again.

Hope that is helpful and best of luck!

Kim

HI!

Whenever I get glutened I wonder about what is really going on. How is it that damage to my intestines results in:

bloating,

cramps,

joint pain,

anxiety,

fatigue,

depression,

head fog?

So, what causes the bloating: is it some kind of chemical reaction which causes gas? If so, what kind of chemical reaction? My glutening gas has a particular odour. Why? How much of the bloating is due to constipation? What causes that? Why does the digestive system shut down as it does for me or cause diarrhea as it does for others?

What causes the painful cramping? Do we have nerve cells on the inside of our intestines?

What about joint pain: does that have to do with nutrient deficiencies or does it have more to do with the autoimmune response in the body?

And how about the anxiety? How does a glutening affect the brain? Is it again the autoimmune response, or what?

The fatigue?! That's the big one for me, as a mom to a toddler needs her energy! Why so tired? What's happening throughout the body that makes it such an effort to lift a finger?

Depression: why do the eyes feel like crying, as if I'm cutting onions. And my heart so devastated?

Finally, the head fog. Is it that the neurons aren't firing as quickly? If so, why?

I appreciate any response I get to any of these questions, no matter how scientifically full of jargon. I know to expect that it's probably the case that the scientific/medical community doesn't yet have answers to all these questions, but if anyone knows more information, or has theories, that would be great!