This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Whole Foods

bklyn

bklyn Enthusiast

Does anyone eat the "prepared foods" at Whole Foods? All the ingredients are listed but I'm a little unsure as to Cross contimination.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiac3270 Collaborator

Are you referring to the gluten-free prepared foods? I understand they're starting to integrate a gluten-free bakery into many stores. They just started with it in NY a few months ago and I think they started in the South East?

Guest nini

I sometimes get the Whole Foods prepared tamales, or their roasted chickens... I think it's like anything where you have to decide if it's worth it to take a chance or not. Most of the time I'll ask the staff if it was prepared in their kitchens at the store, and if so I've even asked them to show me the labels of different spices and seasonings they use

calico jo Rookie

I live in NC where the Whole Foods gluten free bakery is, and have been buying the gluten-free WholeFoods since before they started to "mass" produce. The bakers at Whole Foods who began this are celiacs themselves. It is a dedicated bakehouse and warehouse. Enjoy! The stuff they make is incredible. Try the pizza crusts!!! I keep them on hand all the time just even to use for breadcrumbs, or cut them into pie slices, then slice through to make a "pocket" for sandwiches. Simply scrumptious!!!

• 2 weeks later...
wittlefairy Newbie

I think you were asking more about the "salad bar" area or prepared foods where you can buy freshly made stuff, right?

I always question it too-but usually if there is wheat in something, they'll list it in paranthesis..like, "Soy Sauce (Wheat)"

Cross contamination is a issue, but I guess use your best judgement as to what it's next to..

My only gripe with their prepared foods is they have no gluten free salad dressing at the salad bar!

Rikki Tikki Explorer

Does anybody know if all of the Whole Foods carry gluten-free bakery goods? I think that is one of the things I miss the most. I understand there is a Whole Foods about 2 1/2 hours away from where I live and I was wondering if there are specific foods I should look for or if they have specific areas where they carry the gluten-free products? Thanks! :D

debbie-doodles Contributor

Sally, the Whole Foods here by me in Arizona doesn't have a bakery in it and they don't carry fresh bakery goods. I checked online and only certain Whole Foods have the bakerys right now. But they have tons of other things. I have to drive 30 minutes to get there, but its worth the drive!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

Only a few east coast states have Whole Food's gluten-free bakery items at this point in time. They're apparently looking at expanding that in the future.

jknnej Collaborator

I emailed Whole Foods about their prepared food because it would be so convenient to be able to run in to get dinner on a tired night.

The lady who emailed me back said they list their ingredients but she could NOT verify how it was prepared or if the food is cross contaminated.

I, therefore, stay away from it:(

lbsteenwyk Explorer

I recently met the chef at Whole Foods who started their Gluten Free Bakehouse. It's located in Morrisville, NC. His name is Lee Tobin and he has DH. He was working for Whole Foods when he was dx in '96 and was able to convince them to start their own dedicated gluten-free bakery. Not all the stores carry the products now. Those that do are mostly in the East due to the location of the gluten-free bakehouse. He said they were hoping to expand eventually to all the stores. I asked him if products could be mail ordered, but he indicated that they would not do that, because their goal is to get people into their stores.

mommida Enthusiast

Whole foods in Michigan launched the gluten free bakery items this week! They were at the gluten free food fair on Saturday and passed out samples. Wow, tasted great! For the people that were looking for doughnuts, I suggest Celiac Specialties in Chesterfield, Mi.

Laura

Archived