KathiSharpe

Could This Be A Celiac Thing?

Rate this topic

A bit over a month ago, I got what I thought at first was a piece of glass in my foot. Then I thought it was a bite. It swelled up pretty awful, localized to a small blister-like spot (but it was harder than a blister, if that makes sense). It itched to the point of madness.

Then it burst, and since then all the skin has fallen off the ball of my foot. It periodically starts itching again, and almost looks like it's going to form another blistery-thing; but before it does, the skin starts peeling off again! The other foot is unaffected.

But on both feet, I also have huge callouses building on top of my toes (it's not from shoes; I rarely wear the things :lol: )

Does this sound like any sort of gluten reaction?

I would go and see a dermie about it, but our income is preventing most docs and meds right now :(

it could very well be a staph infection. Staph frequently cause non-healing ulcers or sores. They release toxins that can cause the skin to peel......

Is there any redness or inflammation around the calluses? Do they itch or hurt? I have psoriasis, and when I get it on my hands and feet this is how it reacts, with these huge calluses. But the ones on my heels are very inflamed and painful; the calluses on my hands itch and then crack. The area on the ball of the foot could also be psoriasis, which is caused by your skin cells going into overdrive and multiplying like crazy, which forms these scaly patches on most of your body, but on the palmar and plantar surfaces tend to become callused.

I am not going to even try to guess whether this is DH or not. You need to have this looked at by your GP or by a podiatrist or dermatologist. Please do so.

I don't think it's psoriasis - I've seen it before on others and this looks nothing like it at all. Last night I got burning/stinging/itching in my toe and heel and it feels like there are blisters forming there.

The callous on the tops of my toes seems to be a different thing - it doesn't "do" anything but look ugly.

It also occurred to me last night that I've got 4 places on my hands that are "blisters" that never go away. They periodically start itching like mad, then burning, and I pick at them, and they go away, only to return. I thought at first they were warts but they really look nothing at all like any wart I've ever seen. :shrug:

I really can't afford to see a doctor. We're usually not this tight financially but I'm doing without medicine this month so I can afford to see the endocrinologist on the 18th. :(

I don't think it's psoriasis - I've seen it before on others and this looks nothing like it at all. Last night I got burning/stinging/itching in my toe and heel and it feels like there are blisters forming there.

The callous on the tops of my toes seems to be a different thing - it doesn't "do" anything but look ugly.

It also occurred to me last night that I've got 4 places on my hands that are "blisters" that never go away. They periodically start itching like mad, then burning, and I pick at them, and they go away, only to return. I thought at first they were warts but they really look nothing at all like any wart I've ever seen. :shrug:

I really can't afford to see a doctor. We're usually not this tight financially but I'm doing without medicine this month so I can afford to see the endocrinologist on the 18th. :(

What meds are you doing without? Some meds are dangerous to stop suddenly. Some companies have programs for folks that can not afford their meds. Do contact the company that makes them and see if they can help. If this is DH it will resolve if you cut gluten out of your diet. You also will need to use uniodized salt at first. If seeing a derm is not possible then you may want to do a trial of the diet. Just don't do it if you are going to persue a doctors celiac diagnosis as you need to keep on gluten for that testing to have any chance of being positive.

What meds are you doing without? Some meds are dangerous to stop suddenly. Some companies have programs for folks that can not afford their meds.

It's my progesterone. We (well, I - hubby doesn't know) chose between that and his diabetes meds. Unfortunately it's something that's compounded at a local pharmacy, so there's no assistance in getting it.

If this is DH it will resolve if you cut gluten out of your diet.

Yeah no kidding!

You also will need to use uniodized salt at first.

?????????????? That's a new one - explain? (Is sea salt "iodized" - that's what we use)

If seeing a derm is not possible then you may want to do a trial of the diet.

That's what I'm doing right now. I officially started yesterday (tho I think even the salad I ate at the restaurant prob had gluten in it :angry: Who the heck puts pimientos in feta cheese anyway?) My poor hubby thinks I'm going to starve to death...

I'm actually doing the trial in the hopes of seeing *dramatic* improvement before seeing the endocrinologist (2 weeks). If this time is anything like last time, day after tomorrow I should be seeing some results!

If she's willing to simply diagnose based on experience, well, there you go. If she's not, but she's willing to do the tests, it won't be much to go back to eating gluten for a couple weeks, then have the tests done.

If she's not willing to either dx or test, she's fired :lol:

This normally wouldn't be in an endocrinologist's purview, but all of my endo-related problems came about after I started eating gluten again, after being told I absolutely positively couldn't be celiac (based on blood test).

?????????????? That's a new one - explain? (Is sea salt "iodized" - that's what we use)

Iodine can activate the antibodies under the skin. We need to avoid it until the antibodies are gone. Unless your Sea Salt says it is iodized it should be fine. That's what I use. If you do a search with Dermatitis Herpeformis and Iodine you will find some more detailed info on it.

I find it significant that the endocrine symptoms started after you went back on gluten. I am sure you do too.

You may want to avoid restautants for a bit to be on the safe side. My family thought I was going to starve too but there is so much that can be made gluten free naturally and once labels and all get figured out if it helps it is so worth all the hassle at first.

I hope you are feeling better soon and that you get some relief soon from the foot troubles. It sounds very painful.