jasonD2

Spices/seasonings At Farmers Market

Rate this topic

I buy my spices & seasonings at the local farmers market. They come in bulk and are very affordable. Is there any way there could be gluten in there? The market probly receives large boxes of the stuff and they divide it up into small plastic containers - ive never heard of any complaints but just thought id ask

I buy my spices & seasonings at the local farmers market. They come in bulk and are very affordable. Is there any way there could be gluten in there? The market probly receives large boxes of the stuff and they divide it up into small plastic containers - ive never heard of any complaints but just thought id ask

If the spices are not a mixture, they probably don't contain gluten but be sure to read labels! I tend to buy McCormick spices because they are good at labeling. Their chili powder is gluten free.

Oh, sorry, you said they come in bulk and are divided up at the market. You may need to ask to see the boxes they originally came in; the ingredients list should be somewhere on the box.

I had to toss all the ingredients I had bought over the years at my favorite bulk food store. I was reacting. I finally remember that they sell many kinds of flour there, too and some of those are divided into smaller packages. I pictured all the flour in the air and realized why I was reacting.

The problem with things in bulk is you never know where the scoop has been previously or whether someone who just ate a sandwich reached in there and took a handful. It's a small risk that there is cross-contamination, but it is a plausible risk.