Rate this topic

My friend has a newborn who has terrible gas, bloating, reflux, irritablitiy etc. The baby is breastfed. They have tried all the different "hyopallergenic" formulas and they all made him sick. My friend wants to try the gluten-free diet and hopes this will help. She is already dairy free. How long does she need to eat gluten-free to see if that will help the baby?

Dr. Wangen in "Healthier Without Wheat" talks about breast fed babies and how they can either get gluten from the mom and be sick or get the antibodies which make them sick. How long should it take for that to improve? She plans to try it for a couple of weeks at least. Is that long enough? Do the antibodies stop being in the milk as quickly as they stop being in blood?

When I went gluten-free my infant dd improved within days......I can't remember exactly how many but it was for sure less than one week. I remember I set out to try it for 2 weeks, and it was apparent well before that.

As a side note, I figured out she was dairy sensitive also, that was very apparent within a day or two. Then I wondered if gluten was even an issue so I went dairy free only, eating gluten, and that took her four days to react. She WAS gluten sensitive after all. I did this twice, and the same thing both times-four days for her to react once I had gluten. GFDF for me :)

My dd is 3 1/2 mos now, I'm going to try for 12 months. She is like a new child, I cannot even put it into words......so peaceful, happy, easy to put to sleep, will entertain herself etc. Before I could not put her down, gassy, wouldn't sleep etc. It's AMAZING!! I hope it works for your firend.

I hope so too. I just called her up and told her about soy too. Her baby reacted very badly to the soy formulas and I recommended that she take the soy out of her diet as well. I hope it helps here poor little guy. He is just miserable.

I hope so too. I just called her up and told her about soy too. Her baby reacted very badly to the soy formulas and I recommended that she take the soy out of her diet as well. I hope it helps here poor little guy. He is just miserable.

How old his he? I have heard of others taking their babies to an allergist to determine their sensitivities; I didn't but it may be worth considering if he's that miserable. Poor little thing :(

How old his he? I have heard of others taking their babies to an allergist to determine their sensitivities; I didn't but it may be worth considering if he's that miserable. Poor little thing :(

Id try soy first 4 days off 24 hours back on 4 days off to figure out if its soy. Gluten 2 weeks off 1 day on 2 weeks off...soy an dairy often go hand and hand. I was dairy free / gluten free for a year oh what fun!