crimsontopper

New Celiac

Rate this topic

im a new celiac and im trying to figure out what life is going to be like for me. i dont want to have to eat every meal at my house. i need to know whats ok and how to tell. is there a resource like this or can anybody give me a guide to what is ok? im a little frustrated, scared and confused. any help would be appreciated.

im a new celiac and im trying to figure out what life is going to be like for me. i dont want to have to eat every meal at my house. i need to know whats ok and how to tell. is there a resource like this or can anybody give me a guide to what is ok? im a little frustrated, scared and confused. any help would be appreciated.

Really, the very best idea is to read the threads on this very forum (Gluten-Free Restaurants). You'll get a fairly good idea. In general, fast food is problematical. You can find items at Chick-Fil-A and Wendy's; otherwise, you're lucky if you can eat the french fries. Outback Steakhouse has a good gluten-free menu and most people do not have problems there. Other sit-down restaurant chains (with the very notable exception of Red Lobster) tend to have gluten-free menus; most do an at least fair job. It is recommended (by the restaurants themselves) that you ask for the manager so s/he can alert the kitchen about your sensitivities.

You can also focus on national cuisines that don't normally use wheat. Most cities have Thai restaurants. Larger cities have Ethiopian/Eritrean ones. Pho places (Vietnamese) are getting more popular. The key is making sure they don't use wheat noodles or soy sauce (usually contains wheat). You may be able to eat Mexican, though you're cautioned against eating the chips they bring out, as these are often cross-contaminated.

Try not to be frustrated, scared or confused. It gets easier quickly, and even fun learning a new way to eat. Welcome to the board, and good luck to you.