Rate this topic

Does anyone know if vanilla soft serve ice cream from an ice cream parlor is gluten free?

since not all ice cream shops use the same ice cream, you would have to check the ingredients at the place you go.

we can *never* assume that a whole class of prepared food is gluten free.

Even if the ice cream itself is gluten-free, you'd have to consider cross contamination. If they are touching wheat based cones to the machine, it could have cross contamination. And there have been reports here of some ice cream places training their employees to fill cones, then dump the ice cream back in the machine. I can't say for sure that this happens though.

Even if the ice cream itself is gluten-free, you'd have to consider cross contamination. If they are touching wheat based cones to the machine, it could have cross contamination. And there have been reports here of some ice cream places training their employees to fill cones, then dump the ice cream back in the machine. I can't say for sure that this happens though.

I'd say it doesn't. Certainly not at the place my daughter used to work. And if some place were doing this, it most certainly violate health regulations.

richard

Not all ice creams are gluten free. I would find out the maker of the ice cream and check with them directly.

I have asked to read the container that the soft serve comes in. I have gotten strange looks but all three times I ate my ice cream with out worry. If there is a tip jar I leave a buck for the annoyance. Wheat is used more to keep the texture of the ice cream. With soft serve the machine does that so I suspect that wheat is not needed. I also suspect that I can not handle gar gum but I have not seen that in soft serve either. YET