KathiSharpe

Does Anything Help?

Rate this topic

Went to a friend's birthday party last night. The hostess, bless her heart, greeted me at the door almost in tears. "I didn't know what you could eat and I was afraid you'd be upset if I asked you but now I'm afraid there's nothing here you can eat. You can eat a hamburger can't you? Please say you can."

So, of course, I did. :(

The hamburger itself MIGHT have been ok (but it was of the pre-formed frozen offbrand Bubba-burger sort) ... Cooked on a grill with multiple seasonings and previously toasted bread. And hot dogs.

But what could I do? Just eat a slice of tomato and smile? She'd have spent the evening so upset over it all.

Next time someone grills out, I'll volunteer to bring my own hotdogs (cook in tinfoil) and a big bag of gluten-free chips to share.

But this time, I'm stick with raging nausea, a terribly hurting gut, horrible moodiness, joint pain, itchies, malaise, and a headache right behind my eyes.

I know that the goal is to never get glutened, but I also know that unless I move to a cave somewhere, this will happen again. Is there ANYTHING one can do to help get past it quicker?

I considered eating and then (I know it sounds gross) making myself throw up later. It wouldn't get all of it out, but some?

How about activated charcoal? Huge amounts of Vite C? Alka-seltzer?

A portable cocoon?

Anything?

the portable cacoon might work, lol. I'm so sorry! I imagine I would have done the exact same thing. Good lesson for her, though. And you, too, I suppose. I always hate to make people feel like they should make anything special just for me in such situations. I guess this is a good reminder to always bring something on your own. I seriously doubt anything like Alka-Seltzer will help as that only affects certain aspects of our digestion. The only thing I have found to help make it thru is antihistimines and Tylonol. I get drowsy with it, but its the only thing that makes the symptoms I have bearable. Fortunately for me, I am a stay-at-home mom, so I don't have to worry about really functioning out in public during those times. I can curl up in bed and sleep. I'll be interested to see if anyone else has any viable solutions for you.

the portable cacoon might work, lol. I'm so sorry! I imagine I would have done the exact same thing. Good lesson for her, though. And you, too, I suppose. I always hate to make people feel like they should make anything special just for me in such situations. I guess this is a good reminder to always bring something on your own. I seriously doubt anything like Alka-Seltzer will help as that only affects certain aspects of our digestion. The only thing I have found to help make it thru is antihistimines and Tylonol. I get drowsy with it, but its the only thing that makes the symptoms I have bearable. Fortunately for me, I am a stay-at-home mom, so I don't have to worry about really functioning out in public during those times. I can curl up in bed and sleep. I'll be interested to see if anyone else has any viable solutions for you.

Benadryl? Really? Thank you!! I wonder if I have some lying around that I could take. Even if it doesn't "cure" it, the sleepies would be welcome...

At this point, the "I ate a window pain and chased it with gasoline and a live hedgehog" syndrome has begun. I'm in so much pain I'm about to cry.

Honestly I doubt she'd want to make you ill!! Better to feign sickness and not show up or leave early claiming a tummy ache or something than eat their food and get really sick. We all need to learn to be prepared in these kinds of occasions. Bottom line. If you had brought your own food your hostess would likely have been relieved.

Your idea of bringing your own to share is a good one since it makes one feel you are part of the crew. Just make sure you get yours first before anyone else touches it--and then let them have the left overs...

You have to insist to help for your own good, only explain if they get persistent. If you have brought your own goodies that they like too it could be a nice learning situation.l

Bea