Mirt

Are These Celiac Symptoms?

Rate this topic

My daughter, age 22, was diagnosed with Dermatitis Herpetiformis nearly two years ago. Recently, I've begun to notice a significant amount of knee & elbow joint pain, as well as stomach pain and "queasiness" after eating wheat products. Earlier this week I thought I had a stomach bug, so I was eating primarily crackers and toast to go easy on my stomach, and they seemed to make the problem worse and I subsequently experienced amazing amounts of gas.

As a test, I ate no gluten for a day, then ate some pretzels that evening. I felt better until the pretzels, and within 15 minutes I had major diarrhea along with stomach pain and queasiness again.

I was also recently diagnosed with a significant Vitamin D deficiency even though I take twice the RDA daily.

I am trying to determine if these symptoms are indicative of Celiac disease. I talked with my daughter, and she does not have an immediate reaction to gluten intake like I seem to have had, so I am confused. Can anyone offer any advice on this?

My daughter, age 22, was diagnosed with Dermatitis Herpetiformis nearly two years ago. Recently, I've begun to notice a significant amount of knee & elbow joint pain, as well as stomach pain and "queasiness" after eating wheat products. Earlier this week I thought I had a stomach bug, so I was eating primarily crackers and toast to go easy on my stomach, and they seemed to make the problem worse and I subsequently experienced amazing amounts of gas.

As a test, I ate no gluten for a day, then ate some pretzels that evening. I felt better until the pretzels, and within 15 minutes I had major diarrhea along with stomach pain and queasiness again.

I was also recently diagnosed with a significant Vitamin D deficiency even though I take twice the RDA daily.

I am trying to determine if these symptoms are indicative of Celiac disease. I talked with my daughter, and she does not have an immediate reaction to gluten intake like I seem to have had, so I am confused. Can anyone offer any advice on this?

Yes, definitely sounds like it could be celiac, especially with your daughter having the same condition. I have both types of reactions...sometimes instant and sometimes within hours or days. If you search around on here, you'll see that everyone's reactions to gluten are very different and unique, even within families. I hope you find health and answers :)

My daughter, age 22, was diagnosed with Dermatitis Herpetiformis :CELIAC CAN RUN IN A FAMILY nearly two years ago. Recently, I've begun to notice a significant amount of knee & elbow joint pain, joint pain is a common symptomas well as stomach pain and "queasiness" after eating wheat products.this as well Earlier this week I thought I had a stomach bug, so I was eating primarily crackers and toast to go easy on my stomach, and they seemed to make the problem worse and I subsequently experienced amazing amounts of gas.gas is common

As a test, I ate no gluten for a day, then ate some pretzels that evening. I felt better until the pretzels, and within 15 minutes I had major diarrhea along with stomach pain and queasiness again.diarrhea is very common

I was also recently diagnosed with a significant Vitamin D deficiency even though I take twice the RDA daily.vitamin deficiencys are very common among celiacs

Everyone is different, although im not confirmed celiac, i feel better of wheat and dairy.

My main problem was constipation. I was losing weight, about 20 lbs under weight(i am 13, 5'4.5, and i got down to 80lbs) I was having stomach pains, and low iron and daily headaches

Other people have diarrhea, weight gain, joint pain, some people have no symptoms at al! But you definately fit in with closer to the "standard" symptoms with diarrhea and joint pain. Gas and stomach pain as well. Vitamin D deficiency,is also very common.

I think it would be worth it getting the celiac blood work. What you described (stomach issues after eating wheat) were the beginning of the symptoms for me. I didnt think anything of it until things got worse.

Everyone has very different symptoms, and you seem to be aware of the genetic component of celiac disease :) My DR recommended family members get tested at the silghtest symptom because celiac disease is highly genetic. Before making any diet changes it certainly doesn't hurt to get the blood test.

If I were to eat a pretzel I would probably have immediate stomach pains and upset stomach, then fatigue and brain fog for 3-4 days following.

Vitamin deficiency is also a symptom and it's worth getting checked out because of the health risks related to vitamin deficiencies.

Good luck,

Jillian