KarenFe

Storing Flours

Rate this topic

I am trying to streamline my kitchen with all the flours I have. Do I store these flours in the refrigerator or can I store them on the counter?

Better Batter - I see the counter is fine according to the website, so I have this one covered

Brown Rice flour - I understand this one should be refrigerated because it has more oils, so I have this one covered as well.

Almond Meal - Also having more oils, I read this one should be refrigerated as well.

Sorghum flour - I understand a cool, airtight container on the counter will be fine if used within a few months. Is this correct?

Potato Starch - ?

Tapioca flour - ?

Millet flour - ?

Sweet Rice flour - ?

Xanthum Gum - ?

Buckwheat flour - ?

Thank you for your help :)

Karen

I am trying to streamline my kitchen with all the flours I have. Do I store these flours in the refrigerator or can I store them on the counter?

Better Batter - I see the counter is fine according to the website, so I have this one covered

Brown Rice flour - I understand this one should be refrigerated, so I have this one covered as well.

Sorghum flour - I understand a cool, airtight container on the counter will be fine if used within a few months. Is this correct?

Potato Starch -

Tapioca flour -

Millet flour -

Sweet Rice flour -

Xanthum Gum -

Buckwheat flour -

Almond Meal -

Thank you for your help :)

Karen

Taking a shot--haven't read anything yet. Just considering starches, proteins, and fats...

Most gluten-free flour substitutes are mostly starch, so should be fine at room temp. Proteins may/may not need to be refridgerated. Fats will go rancid much quicker though, so I'd refridgerate/freeze the almond meal. Potato starch & sweet rice/tapioca flour should be fine at room temp, but not sure about Buckwheat & Millet flour, but I think room temp (similar to sorghum) should be fine. I think xanthan gum is a polysaccharide, so should be fine at room temp.

The millet and buckwheat I would store in the freezer. I also keep flax and bean flours in the freezer. The starches and the xanthum gum I wouldn't worry about at room temp.

If you bake a lot and can keep it out of the light and down low, I wouldn't worry much at all.

I store my flours and mixes in the freezer.

I store mine in the freezer too.

Thanks everyone. I think I'll have flours on the counter, in the fridge, and in the freezer. It will be like a treasure hunt when I need to bake. :)

I keep all my gluten-free flours at room temp except high-fat ones like soy, ground flax, and almond meal. Rice, sweet rice, brown rice, tapioca, cornstarch, potato starch, cornmeal, garbanzo, sorghum, millet - all room temp and I haven't noticed any problems with them. I find they pick up odors when in the freezer.