This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

My First Glutening!

WideAwake

WideAwake Rookie

It has been a few months now and I have been so careful. My darling hubby made me a home made gluten-free pizza (we thought) two nights ago and the morning after I ate it I had terrible tummy cramps the first half of the day and then had a headache for most of the rest of the day.

We narrowed the culprit down to some gherkin relish he used, that had a small amount of vinegar made from barley. He knew to watch out for wheat and rye but didn't realise barley was a baddie as well. Big lesson learned as he had a very grumpy wife and last night instead of both of us eating the leftovers he had to cook another meal for me to replace it.

I had "saved" up calories for that pizza too! Oh well, these things happen. I have checked with all the packaging/manufacturers of the other things I ate that day and they seem fine.

Oh well at least I know what it feels like now! Tummy isn't totally happy again yet but nothing as bad as that morning! Ouch! :o

I had no idea that small an amount would do so much. My symptoms before were extreme tiredness and irregular bowels mostly - not tummy cramps and headaches LOL

Is that strange? :huh:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nasalady Contributor
I had no idea that small an amount would do so much. My symptoms before were extreme tiredness and irregular bowels mostly - not tummy cramps and headaches LOL

Not strange at all..... :)

First, it really doesn't matter how small an amount of gluten is involved, unless it's in the ppm range. Just a crumb falling into your soup, or even flour floating in the air landing on your food can do it!

But symptoms produced by a glutening can vary quite a bit, even in the same person from one episode to the next. For instance, one time I might have major D to the point that I can't be far away from a bathroom, and the next time I'll have neurological symptoms such as vertigo and blurry vision. The one constant symptom for me is a migraine that feels like the top of my head is coming off! My symptoms start anywhere from 6 to 36 hours after eating gluten.

Sorry that you had to go through that! I hope you feel better soon!

JoAnn

Northern Celiac Newbie
It has been a few months now and I have been so careful. My darling hubby made me a home made gluten-free pizza (we thought) two nights ago and the morning after I ate it I had terrible tummy cramps the first half of the day and then had a headache for most of the rest of the day.

We narrowed the culprit down to some gherkin relish he used, that had a small amount of vinegar made from barley. He knew to watch out for wheat and rye but didn't realise barley was a baddie as well. Big lesson learned as he had a very grumpy wife and last night instead of both of us eating the leftovers he had to cook another meal for me to replace it.

I had "saved" up calories for that pizza too! Oh well, these things happen. I have checked with all the packaging/manufacturers of the other things I ate that day and they seem fine.

Oh well at least I know what it feels like now! Tummy isn't totally happy again yet but nothing as bad as that morning! Ouch! :o

Nope not at all, I can get glutened from licking an envelope or even a postage stamp

Archived