Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WideAwake

My First Glutening!

It has been a few months now and I have been so careful. My darling hubby made me a home made gluten-free pizza (we thought) two nights ago and the morning after I ate it I had terrible tummy cramps the first half of the day and then had a headache for most of the rest of the day.

We narrowed the culprit down to some gherkin relish he used, that had a small amount of vinegar made from barley. He knew to watch out for wheat and rye but didn't realise barley was a baddie as well. Big lesson learned as he had a very grumpy wife and last night instead of both of us eating the leftovers he had to cook another meal for me to replace it.

I had "saved" up calories for that pizza too! Oh well, these things happen. I have checked with all the packaging/manufacturers of the other things I ate that day and they seem fine.

Oh well at least I know what it feels like now! Tummy isn't totally happy again yet but nothing as bad as that morning! Ouch! :o

I had no idea that small an amount would do so much. My symptoms before were extreme tiredness and irregular bowels mostly - not tummy cramps and headaches LOL

Is that strange? :huh:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I had no idea that small an amount would do so much. My symptoms before were extreme tiredness and irregular bowels mostly - not tummy cramps and headaches LOL

Not strange at all..... :)

First, it really doesn't matter how small an amount of gluten is involved, unless it's in the ppm range. Just a crumb falling into your soup, or even flour floating in the air landing on your food can do it!

But symptoms produced by a glutening can vary quite a bit, even in the same person from one episode to the next. For instance, one time I might have major D to the point that I can't be far away from a bathroom, and the next time I'll have neurological symptoms such as vertigo and blurry vision. The one constant symptom for me is a migraine that feels like the top of my head is coming off! My symptoms start anywhere from 6 to 36 hours after eating gluten.

Sorry that you had to go through that! I hope you feel better soon!

JoAnn

Multiple autoimmune diseases, including celiac, Hashimoto's, psoriasis, autoimmune hepatitis, RA, SLE. Also have fibromyalgia.

Tested Fall 2008: bloodwork, biopsy negative; HLA DQ8. Doctor believes results negative due to prednisone and Imuran taken for autoimmune hepatitis.

Dx with celiac disease because of dietary response, genetics, and family history of celiac disease.

Dx with Lyme Disease Jan 2010; Lyme likely triggered some of the AI diseases.

Gluten free since 25 Nov 2008

It has been a few months now and I have been so careful. My darling hubby made me a home made gluten-free pizza (we thought) two nights ago and the morning after I ate it I had terrible tummy cramps the first half of the day and then had a headache for most of the rest of the day.

We narrowed the culprit down to some gherkin relish he used, that had a small amount of vinegar made from barley. He knew to watch out for wheat and rye but didn't realise barley was a baddie as well. Big lesson learned as he had a very grumpy wife and last night instead of both of us eating the leftovers he had to cook another meal for me to replace it.

I had "saved" up calories for that pizza too! Oh well, these things happen. I have checked with all the packaging/manufacturers of the other things I ate that day and they seem fine.

Oh well at least I know what it feels like now! Tummy isn't totally happy again yet but nothing as bad as that morning! Ouch! :o

Nope not at all, I can get glutened from licking an envelope or even a postage stamp