This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Gluten Withdrawal?

homemaker

homemaker Enthusiast

When I went gluten-free about 2 weeks ago..I noticed immediate positive results.

Constipation GONE...Bloating and gas GONE...

But I have noticed I feel HUNGRY!...I somehow need to eat more

than I did when I was on Gluten...Sometimes it feels like I don't eat enough...

I feel hungry sooner than I used to when I was on Gluten

What is going on?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CGally81 Enthusiast
When I went gluten-free about 2 weeks ago..I noticed immediate positive results.

Constipation GONE...Bloating and gas GONE...

But I have noticed I feel HUNGRY!...I somehow need to eat more

than I did when I was on Gluten...Sometimes it feels like I don't eat enough...

I feel hungry sooner than I used to when I was on Gluten

What is going on?

This is normal. It happens to like everyone, especially those who lost weight while eating gluten.

I was hungry all the time myself starting a few days after going gluten-free. It GRADUALLY got better over time. It's been 2 months now, and I don't have to eat a huge meal every hour or two. Instead I just need to have 1 or 2 afternoon snacks (or 1 very large one), a large breakfast, an evening snack (preferably large), and something before bed (or else I can't get to sleep). Still definitely hungrier than I should be, or I was before going gluten-free, but at the same time, a huge improvement from 1 month ago, and especially when I first started!

I don't know how long your hunger problems will last, or how quickly/slowly they will get better. I can tell you that it takes time, a lot of it. People have said it's taken months, others (those who've been Celiac for decades before discovering the problem) say it's taken them years. I can tell you that it gets better... then suddenly worse, then even better than the last time, then worse again, then better... etc. The hunger will go up and down, but have a gradual downward trend. You might one day end up realizing you're hungrier than you were a week ago, but not as hungry as 2 or 3 weeks ago, for instance. I was definitely thinking "what the heck? I thought I was making progress!" when my hunger went back to being bad or even worse, but eventually later, it would get better again and I'd feel like I had a new big improvement. In fact, last Friday, I ate only 3 meals! (huge ones, yes, but still better than the other weekends!) Now my hunger is back to being what it was during the week, except with a little more at night.

Anyway, I think it's worth it. I'm not enjoying the hunger, though I appreciate the mysterious sudden muscle growth it's given me - my strength is back! - though I could do without the gut growth. I need to start going for walks/bike rides again. *looks outside* It's raining. :(

Oh yeah, you may also end up experiencing other gluten withdrawal symptoms. For me, those were a pins and needles feeling in the body, itchiness, chills in the legs and forehead, heartburn, and mild nausea. Those symptoms also came and went to varying degrees (got better, then worse, then even better, then worse again, etc.), and are 80% gone. Just letting you know that's been - and is being - my experience.

homemaker Enthusiast

Yeah, I can relate to ALL of what you have said...I find the my mild nausea helps, went I eat something...

It soothes the hungry tummy! ;)

homemaker Enthusiast

Ahh The joys of Gluten Withdrawal...now no longer am I just hungry I feel WIRED and JITTERY...

How many of you have felt that way when withdrawing from gluten????

summerteeth Enthusiast
Ahh The joys of Gluten Withdrawal...now no longer am I just hungry I feel WIRED and JITTERY...

I definitely did. It has gotten better with time, but now when I get glutened, about a day or two later I can eat pretty much anything in sight - usually it is chocolate though :)

homemaker Enthusiast
I definitely did. It has gotten better with time, but now when I get glutened, about a day or two later I can eat pretty much anything in sight - usually it is chocolate though :)

Thank GOD that I can still eat some chocolate! LOL :P

YUM YUM .....

BookGirl1977 Newbie

I've only been gluten free for about four weeks but the first two were worse than when I quit smoking - wired and jittery are the PERFECT words for it! I was jumping out of my skin and convinced something was really, really wrong...now I feel much better. This is my first post to this board...of to discover if I should do an introductory post somewhere...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Tigercat17 Enthusiast

Yes, I felt very anxious & I had a hard time going to sleep. I've been on the diet for a month now & I still feel anxious at times. And my stomach still hurts. It seems like so many foods bother me. I can't eat everything I want. :(

homemaker Enthusiast
Yes, I felt very anxious & I had a hard time going to sleep. I've been on the diet for a month now & I still feel anxious at times. And my stomach still hurts. It seems like so many foods bother me. I can't eat everything I want. :(

Yeah I can relate...I feel the most jittery when I wake up in the morning before I eat....It is like I am totally starving for food!

homemaker Enthusiast

I just found out that Activia has Gluten...I had been eating that for about a week...

Well I am just switching yogurts and see if that helps...

Geeezzz that Gluten is a sneaky little devil...hiding in all sorts of sneaky little places... :wacko:

Archived