pufffee

Lactose Intolerant People. Help : )

Rate this topic

Hi

I have been gluten free for a month a decided to go Dairy free as well. So last couple of days on new DAiry free/gluten-free diet I have been eating gluten-free DF crackers with pepperonis on them. I get upset stomach with minutes after. I figured I better look at ingredients closer. Seems it contains Lactic Acid Starter Culture. I need to know if that contains dairy and could be my problem? IT is amazing how quick it affects my stomach and is the only known source of dairy I eat if in fact it is dairy. I appreciate the help!!

BRian

Hi Brian. Could be the starter that is the problem, but without knowing all the ingredients in either the crackers or the pepperoni it is difficult to know. Have you tried having the pepperoni without the crackers to rule that out?

Sometimes people with gluten intolerance also have, or develop intolerances to other foods, usually carbohydrates, so, as the gluten-free crackers undoubtedly have quite a few different types of carbohydrate in the ingredients it could be any one of those too.

Perhaps you could try having rice cakes and see if you're ok with those?

lactic acid starter culture is generally considered to be a dairy ingredient, albeit a very minute one.

I've never found a true pepperoni (just one salami) that didn't have dairy in it. (Most usually also contain dry milk, but this can vary.)