chiroptera

Speaking Of Dog Food

Rate this topic

The previous dog food thread got me thinking. We feed our two toy poodles Blue Buffalo Life Protection formula small breed formula dry food. I just looked and while it doesn't contain wheat, it does contains three kinds of barley. Would you be concerned about this. Honestly I breathe in the fumes two days a day when I scoop out their food and they both love to give kisses. What you do guys think?

Thanks!!!!

I avoid gluten in my dog food. Why? Well, the scoop I use for the food may get set down on the counter. Neo (standard poodle! :) ) *loves* to like hands, arms, pants, toes (anything) after eating or drinking. And occasionally a piece of food falls onto the counter. The dog certainly doesn't need it, and it's just a lot easier if it's not there at all.

You are right! I think I will switch dog foods. Our little ones, Teddy and DeeDee aren't usually picky so I'm sure we will find something they like that is safe for us too. The little girl is a rescue poodle and the poor thing will eat anything, she is so thankful for any food at all!

Although our dogs are not strictly outdoor dogs, they are only fed outdoors and their food is stored in the outdoor kennel. So I don't worry about barley in their food. Their food is wheat-free and that's good enough for me. I always wash my hands when I come in from my outdoor animal chores anyway.

If I were storing their food or feeding them in my kitchen, that would be different. I don't think I'd want their gluten-containing dog food all over my kitchen, even though my kitchen isn't strictly 100% gluten-free. It's hard to teach dogs rules about food contamination.

-Elizabeth