Rate this topic

We've had her a week and she's about eight weeks old. She is sleeping more than I'm expecting. She's also dragging herself on the ground after she goes--her belly, not her bottom. It seems strange to me. The vet gave her a clean bill of health a few days ago except for worms. She's been treated for those.

She's TINY, about two pounds, so I'm concerned. I'm am totally smitten with her and I'll be terribly upset if she's unwell.

Thanks for any help!

We've had her a week and she's about eight weeks old. She is sleeping more than I'm expecting. She's also dragging herself on the ground after she goes--her belly, not her bottom. It seems strange to me. The vet gave her a clean bill of health a few days ago except for worms. She's been treated for those.

She's TINY, about two pounds, so I'm concerned. I'm am totally smitten with her and I'll be terribly upset if she's unwell.

Thanks for any help!

What kind of dog? Different dogs *should* weigh very different amounts, so it's hard to say. Has she gained weight since you've gotten her? Any dog can get a UTI. Is she eating? Is she pooping? I would definitely call the vet - they are quite used to puppy parents, especially new puppy parents, call in with questions, and will likely get back to you same day. If you don't have a vet you like and will be sticking with yet, now's a good time to set up an appointment.

She's a mutt. She's Jack Russell, basset and beagle. She'll be a small dog. We got her Sunday and she saw the vet Sunday. She did think she was very healthy.

She is eating/peeing/pooping just fine. I'm amazed to be able to say that she already does her business outside. Everything is good, except she sleeps SO MUCH and the dragging she does.

I've got to talk to them about kenneling her Monday, so I'll ask them.

Puppies are like newborns, they sleep a lot!! Put your hands on her body, you should be able to feel her ribs under her skin but if you feel her spine very exposed she is probably underweight. My daughters tiny toy poodle was really having excessive bm's and was thin although he ate well. The dr switched his food (sound familier?) then he was fine. I add a small amount of cider vinegar to my senior citizen dog's water as it helps him eliminate well. If I forget for a couple of days, he can't hold it till he gets outdoors.

I don't know about UTI's but I know dogs can have kidney issues. Wouldn't hurt to give your vet a call. They won't mind.

Female dogs of any age can defintiley get UTI's. I used to do dog rescue and I had a number of females needing to be treadted for UTI's.