KevinG

How Severe Are These Enterolab Results?

Rate this topic

• Fecal Anti-gliadin IgA (normal is <10): 52 Units
  • Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA (normal is <10): 30 Units
  • Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score (normal is <300): Less than 300 Units
  • Fecal Anti-casein (cow’s milk) IgA (normal is <10): 6 Units
  • HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1: 0201
  • HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2: 0301
  • Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (Subtype 2,7)

I have read the result interpretations from Enterolab as well as descriptions on this forum, so I know these results mean I have gluten sensitivity. However, I am trying to figure out just how severe the two abnormal readings are. Do the results of 52 & 30 indicate just a mild problem, or are they severely elevated to the point where it's critical to eliminate all gluten immediately?

For the past 3 years I have been trying to avoid gluten and diary but I'm not 100% strict, so I know gluten slips in. I get a few on-and-off digestive issues like stomach pain if I eat too much, canker sores, and aftertaste in my mouth, but nothing extreme. (My sister, however, has had very bad reactions to gluten and is 100% gluten free.)

Any info would be appreciated.

If you read the Enterolab FAQ's on their site, it will say something like, it doesn't matter what your numbers are, if you're positive then you're positive. A higher number does not necessarily mean more damage, and a lower number (but still positive) does not necessarily mean less damage. Its like being pregnant, you either are or you're not.

I scored only an 11 on the IgA test, yet have had miraculous results from the diet, which along with a family history and resolution of symptoms scored me a doctor's diagnosis.

Hope that helps!:)

[*]Fecal Anti-gliadin IgA (normal is <10): 52 Units

[*]Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA (normal is <10): 30 Units

[*]Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score (normal is <300): Less than 300 Units

[*]Fecal Anti-casein (cow