Joe0123

Celiac, Gluten Intolerance, Or Something Else?

Rate this topic

Greetings all. I've had health problems, including joint and muscle pain, abdominal pain, constipation, fatigue, and muscle spasms, starting back in July '08 and I saw a variety of doctors who weren't able to do anything for me. It wasn't until my allergist suggested that I go gluten free that I've felt better, which was in June 09. However, I'm still having lots of digestive issues and the joint and muscle pain hasn't gone away. I've noticed that so many things bother since going gluten free. Nuts, seeds, dairy, sweets, corn, and egg, from what I have been able to discern. So even though I can say I have improved some since going gluten-free (and also taking magnesium, magnanese, zinc, and vitamin C supplements) I still feel like crap most days. I'm wondering if I am celiac or gluten intolerant, or if something else is going on. I've had blood tests and a biopsy and both have come back negative, so I really don't know what to think. Gluten free diet has helped, but will I ever feel normal again? Or should I try something else? Thanks.

If the diet is helping keep with it. It sounds like you could still be getting glutened somewhere have you checked all scripts, generics need to be checked at each refill, supplements etc? Do you any crafts or home repair or remodeling type stuff? Some glues, drywall compound, wallpaper paste and other items can be sources of CC. Do you live with gluten eaters and if you do are you taking precautions with food preperation? Your own toaster, condiments etc.

It also is not uncommon for some of us to have multiple intolerances. Sometimes keeping a food and symptom diary can help pinpoint them or an elimination diet can help to figure them out. Don't lose heart if you seem to be intolerant to many foods for a bit, it can take a while to heal and the way to do it the quickest is to stick with whole unprocessed foods for a while. If you eat out a lot it might be a good idea to do so less frequently until you are feeling better.

Greetings all. I've had health problems, including joint and muscle pain, abdominal pain, constipation, fatigue, and muscle spasms, starting back in July '08 and I saw a variety of doctors who weren't able to do anything for me. It wasn't until my allergist suggested that I go gluten free that I've felt better, which was in June 09. However, I'm still having lots of digestive issues and the joint and muscle pain hasn't gone away. I've noticed that so many things bother since going gluten free. Nuts, seeds, dairy, sweets, corn, and egg, from what I have been able to discern. So even though I can say I have improved some since going gluten-free (and also taking magnesium, magnanese, zinc, and vitamin C supplements) I still feel like crap most days. I'm wondering if I am celiac or gluten intolerant, or if something else is going on. I've had blood tests and a biopsy and both have come back negative, so I really don't know what to think. Gluten free diet has helped, but will I ever feel normal again? Or should I try something else? Thanks.

I did the same thing! I went gluten-free earlier in the year while I was abroad and then came back and started feeling bad again. So I went off it. Of course my symptoms of fatigue, constipation and more got MUCH worse. Did several blood tests and a colonoscopy all negative. So I eventually got a test through Enterolab. THAT came back positive for Gluten sensitive, casein sensitive (I just ordered the one for soy sensitivity because I notice my fatigue linked to that) I have one gene (not active) for celiacs and one gene (obviously active) for Gluten sensitivity. I went gluten-free and Dairy free and my energy felt better when I was doing okay. THen I cut out Soy and I'm doing well. Noticed coffee started to give me pressure headaches (its been windy/sinus infection? I don't know why they're happening more frequently) so I stopped that too.

I got glutened by some malt this morning and my pressure head ache emerged then and has stayed with me all day, moving around from up and down my nose and over one eye then the other. Its very strange, but I know that this is from being glutened and I'm not just guessing if I had a contamination! :) I THINK yesterday that I got sick from some Corn Bran cereal from Quaker (NOT thinking about the fact that oat flour is COMMONLY contaminated) and was nauseous all day.

My constipation really hasn't gotten better since going GFDF or SY and that was one of the things I was really hoping to get ride of... Its gotten worse since I stopped drinking coffee every morning too. (BOOOO)

I dunno what's going on and I'm suspecting EVERYTHING. I've also heard of gluten width drawls which is what we could be experiencing. Do some research and let me know what you think! Hope it gets better for you!

Em

For constipation, increase your magnesium intake. I take around 700 mgs. Dr. Carolyn Dean recommends 600 mg's for an average adult. You can't take the whole amount to start. Start with a low dose and increase every 3 - 4 days until you reach your ideal dose. If you start to experience loose stools, back off to a comfortable dose.

For constipation, increase your magnesium intake. I take around 700 mgs. Dr. Carolyn Dean recommends 600 mg's for an average adult. You can't take the whole amount to start. Start with a low dose and increase every 3 - 4 days until you reach your ideal dose. If you start to experience loose stools, back off to a comfortable dose.

You also can use magnesium "gel" which I apply every day. Dr. Dean recommends this if you reach your tolerance.