This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Subtle Symptoms Are Frustrating

soulcurrent

soulcurrent Explorer

I think I was glutened a couple of times this week, but it's hard to tell because my symptoms were always pretty mild. I'm expecting them to get more pronounced the longer I go without but right now I can't tell if I've accidentally had gluten or if it's just a coincidence. My biggest symptoms have been a little bloating and some gurgling. I almost wish there was more going on so I'd know for sure and that could help me figure out what did it. This week I think I know anyway. I went to two restaurants and ordered from the gluten-free menu but still had symptoms (mild though they were) within a couple of hours. Its not uncomfortable and I probably wouldn't notice at all if I wasn't on the watch for it.

Sheesh. I guess I just needed to get that out there. I'm still struggling with the whole "none, ever? but I hardly have symptoms!" mindset.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

homemaker Enthusiast
I think I was glutened a couple of times this week, but it's hard to tell because my symptoms were always pretty mild. I'm expecting them to get more pronounced the longer I go without but right now I can't tell if I've accidentally had gluten or if it's just a coincidence. My biggest symptoms have been a little bloating and some gurgling. I almost wish there was more going on so I'd know for sure and that could help me figure out what did it. This week I think I know anyway. I went to two restaurants and ordered from the gluten-free menu but still had symptoms (mild though they were) within a couple of hours. Its not uncomfortable and I probably wouldn't notice at all if I wasn't on the watch for it.

Sheesh. I guess I just needed to get that out there. I'm still struggling with the whole "none, ever? but I hardly have symptoms!" mindset.

soulcurrent ...I am finding for myself anyway, that since I have gone gluten-free, I am more in touch with my body signals and that is a GOOD thing! I am learning to "tune" in to what my body is trying to tell me. I think it is a learning curve for many newly diagnosed to get in touch with what is good for our body and what it not...

I think when newly diagnosed and we start our gluten-free diets our bodies are going through tremendous changes...healing, getting used to new grains, detoxing from gluten you know all the fun stuff... LOL ;)

The only advice that I also try to tell myself, is give yourself and your body time to heal, tune in to what your body is trying tell you, and your tummy is going to be sensitive for a long while...I mean how many years were we eating gluten? :P

Gluten is not our friend...and it pays to remember that always...

Hummingbird4 Explorer

I completely understand because my symptoms are subtle or non-existent, too. I honestly don't know if I have been "glutened" in the past 15 months, because I haven't experienced any definitive symptoms after eating something questionable. Since I eat a wide variety of foods, go out to eat at restaurants or other peoples' homes sometimes, have been on a couple of vacations, etc., chances are good that I have been glutened and didn't know it.

My advice is to do your due diligence to avoid anything with gluten. Question restaurant servers about how food is prepared, don't eat anything questionable at parties, empty your kitchen of gluten if possible, take safe food along with you everywhere you go. Do the best you can. And don't worry about every little stomach gurgle or bit of bloating. I've had my stomach gurgle after I've eaten food that I know was 100% safe. Stomachs just gurgle sometimes. :P

Good luck. It gets easier but it's still hard sometimes!

tarnalberry Community Regular

You hardly notice your symptoms, but you don't know how much internal damage you're doing. And that's what keeps me from "ignoring" cross contamination risks. Maybe you only feel a little bloating, but your immune system has two weeks of tearing down your intestines. Do that too often, and you increase your risk for too many rather unpleasant (read: deadly) things. Not worth it to me. Call it "the fear of the unknown death" if you like. :D

soulcurrent Explorer

I keep repeating to myself that the damage is on the inside. Somehow I still feel like this is a big trick people are playing on me.. :unsure:<_<

ang1e0251 Contributor
I keep repeating to myself that the damage is on the inside. Somehow I still feel like this is a big trick people are playing on me.. :unsure:<_<

Sometimes I wish we were like the pipe people in the commercial, the ones that can open a little door to their insides and check the gage to see how their feeling. If we could see the internal damage it would sure be helpful. Since we can't, we have to rely on occasional testing to see how we're doing. It's true, you will be more aware than ever of the subtle symtoms you have. Maybe over time some problems will clear up for you that you never expected were related to celiac disease. You may have thought that was just your "normal".

Hang in there. Your sticking with the diet will pay off in the end.

soulcurrent Explorer

Yep I think that's it.. the way I feel now feels normal but it's probably not. I haven't had any noticeable changes since going gluten free but I'm hoping for something.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived