amberlynn

Feeling Dumb Again, Hives?

Rate this topic

So, I woke up with my feet covered in hives. This is the THIRD time I've gotten hit with hives since I went gluten-free.

Anyone else experience this?? I'm thinking it means I'm actually allergic to wheat or gluten? I am itchy EVERYWHERE!

When my son gets hit, his nose starts running like crazy now. Which is also what happens when he gets hit with dairy (before the swelling starts!).

I'm calling the company that makes my personal care items. So far, all I can tell for sure is my conditioner. Stopped using that...

Has this happend to anyone else?

So, I woke up with my feet covered in hives. This is the THIRD time I've gotten hit with hives since I went gluten-free.

Anyone else experience this?? I'm thinking it means I'm actually allergic to wheat or gluten? I am itchy EVERYWHERE!

When my son gets hit, his nose starts running like crazy now. Which is also what happens when he gets hit with dairy (before the swelling starts!).

I'm calling the company that makes my personal care items. So far, all I can tell for sure is my conditioner. Stopped using that...

Has this happend to anyone else?

The exact same thing happened to me. After being VERY careful for three weeks and having NO hives, I had a breakout on my feet and ankles. The only thing I consumed that was different from normal was having a rum and diet coke and two sips of a vodka tonic. The hives didn't go away for 4 days.

Thomas

Just on your feet? Could it be your laundry detergent (socks + sweaty feet = ???)?

The itching I experienced (along with rashes and hives) was actually caused by additional food intolerances that were being masked by the gluten. The major itchy for me was soy, but also citric acid, and then potato. You might consider if there is something you have been eating more of since going gluten free. Often if we eat too much of one thing we develop an intolerance to it, one of the reasons a varied diet is suggested. Keeping a food diary might help.

Thank y'all. At least I know I'm not nuts!

Only thing I could think of was the oats in the kids' body wash. The laundry detergent is safe, and I've been using it for nearly a year. My boys splashed my feet when they got out (??).

I called the company I order all my personal care stuff through, and they said that everything I had either has wheat, wheat germ, oat, or is cross-contaminated. Gave me a $50 credit ;), and I can toss all the old stuff. Thankfully, I still have some California Baby wash for the kids, but I'm stuck with Vanicream for the moment... I really liked that stuff too. Even my toothpaste had to go! Oy... Maybe my mysterious reactions will stop.

I'm basically soy free, because my oldest son is, but I still have dairy (and I'm not sure I could give it up again! LOL!). I'm really hoping its not another food causing it. I'll be so disappointed!

I got my first batch of hives three weeks into the diet. I hadn't had them before and if I hadn't been in the middle of an elimination diet, we probably wouldn't have caught the culprit. We already knew that I was having problems with soy in addition to gluten, but when the hives broke out? That was dairy's fault. I'm lucky--I can manage goat's cheese in tiny amounts, but anything else? Hives all the way.

The interesting thing? Until the gluten was out of my system, I showed no symptoms of any dairy allergy.